What mic would you use on who and why?

shadowfax

uh wierd.. i cant see my post. here it is again, and i'll edit it out later if it turns out to be a double post..

i dont know if this sort of thread has been done before, but i thought it'd be interesting and might bring up some interesting points about different mics to learn about. So, without further ado, what mic would you use on the following singers;

Thom Yorke (radiohead)
Maynard James Keenan (Tool / A Perfect Circle)
Beth [something] (portishead)
Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Bono
Jim Morisson
Serg [something] (system of a down)

im just trying to think of singers with interesting voices.. but i'm not the best judge of that anyway. surely, however, at least some of these singers should provide an interesting group over which to ponder mic selection.

Choose from both an unlimited budjet senario and something more modest, and explain your choice. hopefully you'll all find this as interesting as I. :)

I'd probably use a Studio Projects C1 on all of them, because I've heard that many top recording engineers can't tell the difference between it and a Neumann U87, and some actually prefer it over a U87. And U87's are kewl. Except they don't have tewbs and tewbs are kewl, too, so maybe I could run it through my art tewb mp so I would have double kewlness.

I wouldn't know. I mean, how could you know untill you heard them in the song. We only det to hear them after the mic got picked too.
Many people would know which mic too use on them a lot faster than me.(too:) )

chessrock said:
I'd probably use a Studio Projects C1 on all of them, because I've heard that many top recording engineers can't tell the difference between it and a Neumann U87, and some actually prefer it over a U87. And U87's are kewl. Except they don't have tewbs and tewbs are kewl, too, so maybe I could run it through my art tewb mp so I would have double kewlness.

Apart from one small thing.......... I dunno any "top engineer" who uses an 87 for vocals......... and I also dunno one "top engineer" who couldn't tell the difference.......;)

As far as the question goes...... impossible to say, a lot depends on the material as well as the voice

sjoko2 said:
Apart from one small thing.......... I dunno any "top engineer" who uses an 87 for vocals......... and I also dunno one "top engineer" who couldn't tell the difference.......;)

Come on, Sjoko2. Quit dissin' the SP.

Are you one of them spam cops or somethin'? :D

Without having the actual singer in front of a mic, it`s pretty hard to predict what will work. But if you have a C12, Elam 251, Sony C800G, Brauner VM-1 KHE, U47 and a SM57 ready, you`ll probably suceed! :-)

Amund

Back