What mic to use and when to use it!!!

pM of impk21.co

I have been in question about this every since I started to understand the differences in mic quality and desired sound.

Currentyl I am recording with a Rode NTK mic. The issue is I listen to older material I recored with my Shure SM58 and notice the Shure has a "fuller, more accurate low end" sound than the Rode! The Rode catches the highs really well, but tends to sound more distorted and "too" crisp. When I first bought the Rode NTK I compared it to the Marshall XL I was using, at the time I seemed to favor the Marshall sound over the Rode NTK! But since then I have adapted to the sound and response of the Rode NTK, but it still seems to lack in the desired sound I expect.

My main focus is to get a natural, warm sound, maybe a tad bit dirty sound, but still accetable with when compared to the "Pro" sound!

I am not trying to promote my SC material, but you can check out one of our songs recorded on the Rode NTK. Does anyone see the issues I seem to hear? Help................Warning, the content in this track is kinda harsh, but any suggestion on the "mic" and "vocal" reproduction would be appreciated. Its the first track posted titled "You Dont Wanna Go There" http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/pk21productionsmusic.htm

Thanx, PM

Can't get your page . I have an NTK and use it on some vocals, I like the results a lot of times. When I want more mids and lows ( or less hyped ) I use my AT 4033 or Groove tubes 1B, when I want more natural, I use my 441 or RE20. You need to add some new tools if you want different sounds. You can eq the NTK some but it is made with that high end enhancement

'Fuller low end' made me think of the AT4047. It tends to bump up in the low mids/upper bass range and falls off gently up top above the presence rise. It makes for quite a different flavor (aren't they all ;) ) next to a 'scoop-sizzle'. Think 'thick', which might even get you some 'dirty'. But it's still a wild assed generality. :D 'Could still be a mile off...
Wayne

Back