What Mic to buy

Try the Samson CO3. It's a studio condenser mic for vocals that reviews right up their with the $500 mics. It's about $100. You'll need the spider web shock mount for another $45.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Hi Community,

I'm going to start vlogging. I'm looking at shotgun mics and an overhead mounts but that's too expensive. Do you have any recommendations for some really nice microphones that will work as overhead?
My maximum budget is around $200...

I'm currently looking at the Yeti Pro. What do you think of it?

Please link everything

Okay. You're getting lots of different advice here but some of that is because between your two threads, your needs seem to be a bit conflicting. Let's go to Microphones 101 here.

First off, it matters a lot whether you're happy to have the mic in shot and close to your mouth or hidden (either on a boom above the shot or on a small clip on lav.

Dynamic mics like the SM 57 and 58 mentioned have a relatively low sensitivity and need to be fairly close up. The 635A (mentioned above) is a nice mic but it's 40+ years old and has an omni (as opposed to directional) pick up pattern. As such it's fine for an interview where you have the mic close and pass it back and forth but useless to hide out of shot. The 57 and 58 are directional but still not very sensitive. The other thing about dynamic mics is that they don't need phantom power--but before you jump for joy at being above to plug straight into your computer, remember that their output is low and they need a mic pre amp with relatively high gain and low noise...i.e. not the kind found in a 39 cent Realtek interface.

Condenser mics (and Electret lavs are a subset) require a power source but are much more sensitive and therefore more forgiving of the pre amp (if you have phantom). However, they're also designed with a frequency response based on their likely uses. Big condensers want to be fairly close (like a vocalist in a studio) to use what's called the proximity effect to accentuate the lower tones. If you move far away, it'll sound kind of tinny. Small diaphragm condensers tend to be designed to work a bit farther away and "shot guns" farther still. Clip on lavs are designed to work clipped up almost touching the chest.

So, if you're happy to have the mic close up and in shot, consider dynamics or large condensers--but the large condenser will be visually intrusive. If you want some more hidden, you have to go for something like a shotgun or the clip on lav. It all depends on what your priorities are--there's no single "best mic for everything".

(Note this reply is considering the slightly conflicting info between this thread and another one by the same original poster.)

Back