What mic for my $25,000+ system?

crazydoc

Master Baiter
I'm setting up a small home studio to record myself singing Gregorian chants. I've pretty much decided on all the components except the mic.

Preamp $25 - The Behringer Eurorack UB502 5-Channel Compact Mixer "features the same state-of-the-art Invisible Mic Preamp and ultralow-noise design (with the highest possible headroom) as its larger brethren." "The perfect little mixer to command your home studio."

This will go into my computer's stock soundblaster card, and out to a Gem Sound XP-350 Stereo Power Amp for $90.

For monitors I'll be using the Radio Shack Presidian 2-Way Book Shelf Speakers ($40 the pair).

The power amp will connect to the monitors with the Audioquest Everest Speaker Cable with 72V DBS Perfect-Surface Silver, Counter-Spiral HyperLitz, cold-weld Extreme Pure Copper Spade at $25,000 for a 15 foot pair. (For anyone else wishing to buy these, here is Audioquest's price list)
http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_pricelist.pdf

I'm not sure which mic will be a complement to this system and for my recording needs, but am leaning toward modding the mic from one of my old cell phones to save a little money.

Any alternatives?

You can get a special computer microphone that's fashioned into a long piece of plastic that clips to your monitor at the dollar store. You'll be pleased with it's special "color" and "character". I think those cables you mentioned *might* work to faithfully transmit the characteristics of the mic, but you may be better off saving up a bit more (or maybe taking out a second mortgage) to get a better set of cables.

those cables suck.

real pro's use MF brand XLR-1/4 with a radio shack 1/4-1/8 adapter into the onboard sound.
that setup goes for the equivalent of a cup of coffee at starbucks. big bucks there.

somebody negged me, they said i had an example of what a funny post was, but it wasnt funny??? what does that mean??

i'm sorry i offended you. yes, that is some peoples errr studio setup? i guess.
use your pirated waves platinum bundle next time to make things better... ;) :D:D:D

why can't you people just sign your reps!!

or dont leave comments? just a plain ole red guy wouldnt hurt.

TragikRemix said:
somebody negged me, they said i had an example of what a funny post was, but it wasnt funny??? what does that mean??

i'm sorry i offended you. yes, that is some peoples errr studio setup? i guess.
use your pirated waves platinum bundle next time to make things better... ;) :D:D:D

why can't you people just sign your reps!!

or dont leave comments? just a plain ole red guy wouldnt hurt.
They probably negged you because you forgot this:

"Directionality: All cables are directional, from hardware store electrical cable to the finest pure silver cables. All AudioQuest cables are marked for direction. With other cables it might be necessary to simply listen to the cables in one direction and then the other. The difference will be clear- in the correct direction the music is more relaxed, pleasant and believable. While cable directionality is not fully understood, it is clear that the molecular structure of drawn metal is not symmetrical, providing a physical explanation for the existence of directionality."
http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf

Anyway, here's some offsetting positive rep. :)

Wow! This is an excellent thread!
Green chicklets for everyone!

Another thing that would (heh, heh... "would") help is
this.

sl

snow lizard said:
...Another thing that would (heh, heh... "would") help is
this.
Yeah. Where else can you get the warmth of real wood infused into your music? ...well, besides tracking with real instruments anyway. Besides beech, they should make interchangeable knobs of different woods so you can tweak the tone to taste... spruce, cedar, mahogany, rosewood, maybe even bakelite for that 1940s vintage tone.

danny.guitar said:
Wow, only $480 for some wooden knobs? :eek:
Quit whining. The warmth of wood is priceless.

:D

As a manufacturer they have high profitablity you have to admit. What's the cost for the raw materials for that? Maybe 50 cents? Labor on the lathe? $10? Whoa! I'm ready to invest there.

As for what sort of preamp - I'd recommend a Vestry Labs Dedicator XD, a Pulpit Confabulator, a Hymnal Overdrive LXB with the Parson Confessional 3000.

Also, I'd recommend a shotgun mic. You need to use it in pretty close proximity - place your lips over the end of the shotgun.

lumbago said:
You need to use it in pretty close proximity - place your lips over the end of the shotgun.

I find the best way to use a shotgun mic is just shove it down your throat and close-mic your vocal chords.

Back