What mic for interviewing?

Phloodpants

I'm just got a portable Marantz Pro MiniDisc recorder, and I'll occasionally be using it for interviews.

I already have a pair of MXL 603s condensers. Are they a good choice for interviewing or is there something better? I kinda worry about the 603s with that rather exposed condenser element. I'm looking for something more rugged. Also, the 603s have quite a bit of handling noise.

I'd like something not too pricey, but I'll consider anything. Condenser is A-OK, the Marantz has phantom power!

Suggestions? Thanks!

I'd steer clear of the 603's for a lot of reasons...
Go get an EV 635a on ebay...30-40 bucks. It's supposedly an omni, but really isn't. Rugged, and gives a good interview--you see them (and also EV RE50's and RE55's) on news interviews all the time...
Plus, it's one of the most underrated studio mics, especially considering it's price, of all time. Great on amps, OH's, and even vocals....
LOL!

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com

The Electro-Voice RE50 is a good choice, as Tonewoods mentioned.

For more in-depth discussion, however, I'd suggest you go to

www.radiocollege.org

and read some of their technical tips related to interviews, micing and so forth. It's a wonderful resource from people who are doing it.

Also, one caveat on your new Marantz: it eats batteries, the more so if you're using a condenser mic that requires phantom power.

So do consider a high-output dynamic and/or supplementary battery packs.

You're going to love your Marantz! (I wish I had one!)

Best wishes,

Mark H.

Back