What Material?

Disasster

What would be better material to use for trying to isolate a room as much as possible.

Interior ---Exterior
1. MDF ---Drywall
2. MDF ---MDF
3. Drywall ---Drywall

Heres a pic -

> What would be better material to use for trying to isolate a room as much as possible. <

Probably #3, sheet rock. But before you go to all that trouble, do yourself a favor and buy THIS book. Compared to your time and effort, it's a bargain you can't afford to pass up.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
> What would be better material to use for trying to isolate a room as much as possible. <

Probably #3, sheet rock. But before you go to all that trouble, do yourself a favor and buy THIS book. Compared to your time and effort, it's a bargain you can't afford to pass up.

--Ethan

Alright thanks, if you dont mind can i ask you way drywall is better then MDF? Also what type of drywall is best?

Disasster said:
Alright thanks, if you dont mind can i ask you way drywall is better then MDF? Also what type of drywall is best?

Diasster,

Pound for pound drywall is some of the cheapest mass around. If you take the mass of MDf and run the cost - then calculate for the same mass with drywall - you will come oout way ahead from a cost point of view with drywall.

The fastest way to acheive isolation mass with drywall is to use 5/8" firecode....... so that's what I reccomend. Don't bother wasting time with different thicknesses - it doesn't gain you anything - in the long run it's just the mass that counts.

Sincerely,

Rod

Would 1/2 drywall fireguard interior and 1/2 drywall fireguard exterior be good to?

Because i planned it out with 1/2 interior and 1/2 exterior.

Back