what makes a guitar most suitable for studio use?

I'll have to second Sheppard; good recording amp selection is far more important than guitar selection. Few players who pay for record time are going to have a good amp or amps for recording (maybe some live equipment, but as we all know many live setups don't transition well to recording). Get some amps with great rock distortion, blues sounds, clears, acoustics, and everything in between and you'll be all set.

If you had to get only a couple of electric guitars, I'd say go with a Strat and a Les Paul. Both are backbones of many styles of play, and most players are familiar with at least one or the other, if not both.

Really though, it'd be best to go with a good selection of the many, many types of guitars (assuming you plan on recording all styles). Get a good steel string (Ovation), Nylon string (Martin), 12 string (Acoustic is by preference, I've always liked Ric 12's, and I know pleanty of others swear by 'em), hollow body (I know many people swear by Gibson's, though I'd go with a Gretch or Ibanez), Les Paul (Gibson), SG (Gibson), Strat (Fender), Tele (Fender or G and L), Charvelle style (Ibanez or Jackson), and a Ric. I'm sure I left something out, and those are just my brand suggestions, but I figured I'd throw 'em out there.

Beltrom said:
Since I got my Line 6 Variax I rarely use the other guitars. Allmost any sounds I need (not nylon), no hum or noise.

I recently got one also. A Variax and a PodXT make just about any guitar tone possible. Truly an amazing technological feat. There are custom replacement necks available also for the Variax.

IMO the most important factor is tuning and intonation. There is nothing worse than trying to deal with a guitar that either won't stay in tune or isn't intonated properly. No amount of "tone" will save it, and you can't "fix it in the mix". You can have a Variax or a Fly with as many varieties of tone as you want, or a vintage Strat a Les Paul with tone up the butt, but if you can't get them to stay and play in tune your screwed.

I've never been one to go for "all in one" solutions like the Variax. I think it's better to have a collection of guitars and amps that each do what they do best. If I were going to pick one guitar and one amp to start, I'd pick a nice Strat and probably Rivera or Dr.Z. Next up would be a LEs Paul and Marshall.

A

OH.... and for acoustic a Grand Auditorium Taylor and then a Dreadnaught Martin.

I think the reason most people think electric first is because with electric you have more options tone-wise. An acoustic guitar just is what it is... it either sounds good or it doesn't.

Still has to be in tune though... :D

A

Back