What Kit To Buy???

newatthis

Ok,,I know I will get probably 100 different opinions, but I'll ask this question anyway and see if someone can answer this scenerio.

I am building a rather nice Home/Project Studio that will be used for obviously my own recording, doing demo recordings for other bands, used for your own band to practice in, and also local artists to some in and record as well. I want to have a "house kit" kept at this new Studio when its completed. Being that I am not a drummer, I need advice on what kit to maybe buy (not the couple grand expensive kits, but not a 399.00 entry level one either) What brand and model would you recommend??

I was hoping to stay in the 600.00 to $800.00-ish price range for mayeb a 5 or 6 piece set. I see on Musicians Friend they have some Pearls and some Tama's (2 sets I am a little familier with) in that price range, but I dont know enough about them or the different models to buy one yet.

Now I do have an Engineer friend who also is an amazing, previously touring, drummer who since retired, but says with todays drums the way they are being built, most all can sound pretty damn good if they are tuned right and have good heads on them. His last kit he used was a Tama set that was custom built for him (not sure of the model). (he also said he may bustthat kit out of storage and keep it at my new Studio as a house kit (in exchange for free use of the Studio), but I wont count on that till its sitting there. :rolleyes: So in the meantime, I am shopping.

It seems that there are so many damn different models that each company makes, so its pretty confusing especially for someone like me who isnt a drummer. The drummer in my band swears by Pearls. This engineer likes Tama and I think he said DW (dont quote me on the DW one)

So,,,what would you recommend for this scenerio (and yes I realize alot of drummers will want to use their own kit when recording),,,,,but i still want a "house kit" just to have there. ;)

Thanks and have a great New Year!!

Peace
AJ

For something that comes with hardware, I'd definitely consider the Mapex M-Birch, around $750 for a 5-piece with hardware. I think it even comes with a free tom or snare, too. If I have more time later, I might make a more detailed post with more options and prices.

Thanks...much appreciated. I was just checking out the Mapex sets. The drummer in my band says Birch or Maple is the way to go. I assume thats correct then??

Thanks again and I'll look forward to more suggestions as well.

Peace
AJ

newatthis said:
The drummer in my band says Birch or Maple is the way to go. I assume thats correct then??

That's a little like saying "if you're buying a vehicle, a car or motorcycle is the way to go." Birch is supposedly brighter, but I feel like birch seems rounder, and maple harder sounding. Maple is more expensive in Japan, so US and European makers up the prices on their maple kits, because the market will support it. The higher price creates a feeling of exclusivity, and maple becomes the standard "pro-level" drum wood.

Personally, I like birch at least as well, and in any case, heads, tuning and the player will have far more influence on the sound than shell construction. I consider birch to be a far better value, if you're budget oriented, I'd not seek out maple kits. You'll have to sacrifice something more important, probably hardware quality.

IMO, YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ.

check out the PDP kits for that price range. i have a FS series birch kit and i like it better than some more expensive Pearl kits ive heard/played.

Hi AJ- I agree with your engineer friend - many of the new entry-level kits will do just fine for your studio. I also think that TAMA would be one of the best brands for your situation. TAMA's sound good and the hardware will hold up to a lot more abuse than some of the stuff I've seen on other entry level kits.

Go with a Pearl Masters, one of the cheap ones, or Tama.
Even better, find an older DW kit with hardware for cheap, they do exist.
I definately suggest something with a mainstream name, mostly for resale value later on, also stick with a standard color if you can, for the same reason.

There's no sense in losing alot of cash on it. PDP and Mapex are also good ideas, as well as Gretch, Tambouro, Taye, Premier, Ludwig, and older kits too...Slingerland, Rodgers, Camco...Just save enough for a good ride/crash/hihat set.

Good luck with your plans, and as I was told by a wiseman, "Work every day towards your goal (even if you're burnt out), so that you can keep the end in sight."

Mapex are good sets...nice tone and everything...Personally I love how maple sounds...Your best bet would probably go to a nearby Guitar Center or Drum store or what have you and try out different brands...Each drummer has a specific sound they are looking for and feel. Test them out get price estimates, look on ebay. Good luck!

Back