What kind of Wire

matty_boy

I am making an xlr panel in the tracking room that I am building, and I need to know what kind of wire to buy. Specifically, I need your help on:

1) Two conductor or three conductor?
2) Sheilded or unsheilded? (This will be going from one room to another inside of a wall/ceiling)
3) What gauge.

I already have connectors, and I want to price out wire soon, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matty

To carry balanced signals, you need at least two conductors and the shield for each XLR connector. You definitely want shielded cable. I can't help with gauge.

I also don't know if it would be better to use snake cable (many conductors inside one shield). For that and guage I have to defer to more experienced members.

OB

If you are building the panel with more than just a couple of connectors it would be well worth using a piece of snake cable. I'm building a couple of 24 XLR connector panels to connect my live room to control room and that's what I'll be doing. 24 individual cables would be much larger than a single 24 pair piece of snake cable. You can probably buy the cut length you want at http://www.markertek.com . Individual wire gage is usually 22 or 24 gage. Each pair of wires is typically enclosed in a foil shield to prevent crosstalk between channels.

DD

If you haven't bought the cable yet check out my post over at the "Free Ads" forum. I found a guy who'll sell snake cable by the foot at a reasonable cost. Just got mine in yesterday. Not sure if he'll ship to Canada but it can't hurt to ask. His price was $1.49 (US) a foot for 12 channel and $.99 a foot for 8 channel.

DD

Back