What kind of RAM

travis16vp

I'm planning to order a gig of ram but I'm not sure what kind of ram I need. SDRAM or SDRAM2. How should I check? and where are the cheapest places to get them online? thanks in advance

im also buying all new parts and putting a computer together ive already bought the ram which my choice was corsair DDR2 ram

i bought it from newegg.com

What type of PC do you have?? Meaning type of CPU and Motherboard and this will help us determine what type of Ram you need....

also if you got a sinple PC analizer tool like "Sissandra" it will tell you the type of Ram your PC has and how much ram it supports and at what speeds as well as everything else about your PC....

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. I have a P4 1.8 GHz and an Asus 533 motherboard. I found a box of 1 of my RAM and it says DDR-400 PC3200. Does that mean this is the only kind of RAM I can buy?

travis16vp said:
Thanks for the replies. I have a P4 1.8 GHz and an Asus 533 motherboard. I found a box of 1 of my RAM and it says DDR-400 PC3200. Does that mean this is the only kind of RAM I can buy?

um... it's not the only one, but just stick to it, better like that... buy PC3200 ram DDR

OK. I'm making a Very broad guess lol, but is this your motherboard??
http://www.superwarehouse.com/images/products/asus_p4bgl-mx533.jpg

Anyways. Based on your processor speed & the time frame of the P4 1.8ghz.....
Your motherboard can support no higher than the PC3200, 400mhz FSB memory, DDR1 basically... UNLESS your motherboard was during the time period where they just started incorporating DDR2 onto the board along with DDR1. Which means I suggest you pop open your side of your case, and check to see if it has slots for DDR2. I'm guessing that right now your running that DDR1 stick of PC 3200. If there's a slot that's different than the one you have right now (usually it'll be 4 memory slots, 2 for regular DDR1, and 2 for DDR2 (those days 533mhz DDR)).

travis16vp said:

Make it easy on yourself and stick with the same type you already have. Just buy more DDR-400 PC3200 RAM. You know it works on your system and you know it will be compatible with the RAM you already have.

travis16vp said:
I don't think my motherboard had an MX on its name. It has only 2 slots. I looked at newegg and I noticed that there are different specs for their DDR-400. Does the Cas Latency, Heat Spreader and Voltage matter?

What do you think of this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218093

Those things do matter, but they don't. Well before I get into that, Heat Spreaders are not necessary BUT are a good thing to have. They'll allow your RAM to run cooler, which amounts to a little bit better stability. However, they'll still run fine without them. For Latency, you'll probably want to get the fastest RAM especially if your into recording. I don't know much about voltage, except that it's what is needed to run your RAM, but any type will work. I do know that if you mess with your voltage settings you can "overclock" your RAM. Overall, they really don't matter much, except for latency. I would get either Kingston Consair Munshkin Patriot or Crucial memory though. Those will work in damn near every system in the world lol. Using lesser brands might cause instabilities, incompatibility and other issues that'll arise.

I have these in my other system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145491
and they are blazing fast, very stable. 1GB can cost you $115 :D only 3 months old... I got them when they were $299.99. Now I'm looking to upgrade the whole deal and get 2GB of DDR2 800

Hey Guys,

I'm using a Dell Dimension 3100 with Celeron D, 512MB RAM, 80GB Samsung drive, SoundBlaster Audigy SE, and CakeWalk Music Creator 3. Everything is working fine and I'm happy with the results...BUT...I want to increase my RAM.

The PC uses DDR2 PC2-3200 (or PC2-4300) memory with 256Mb in 2 slots. Would I be better off buying a 1GB stick for slot 1, with nothing in slot 2 (assuming another 1GB in slot 2 in future), install the 1GB in slot 1 and keeping a 256MB stick in slot 2, or buy two 512MB sticks and fill slots 1 & 2?

I'm sure any combination would work, but is one of these combos better for hobby-level DAW use?

Well 2 512mb sticks would be faster than a single 1gb stick. Then again, you can buy a 1gb stick, and have 1256mb of RAM instead.... That will probably be the better for you, to have a little bit more memory for your system, since your video card might be built in, and sharing some of your ram. Plus your running a Celeron, so you'll need any help you can get lol.

Thanks Mindset.

So you think two 512s would be faster than one 1GB - is that a function of the dual-data rate operation (DDR2)?

In this case, would the 1256GB combo be slower than two 512s - and if so - would that be too slow for simple hobby-level stuff or would I not notice any difference?

BTW, checked out your website - very cool......

Back