what kind of preamp and mic

I'd say that track gets as much of its' sound from the compression and eq as it does from the mic and pre.

It's squished flat and there is no bottom only mids and high-mids and top end is rolled off too.

Start with the cleanest signal chain you can put together and don't track too hot or you won't have headroom left for processing.

Last edited:
It's both, or it's neither... It's tube, or it's not... A tube is only one factor in the "vibe" of a preamp. Transformers can have as much, or more impact on the perceived warmth of the signal. What you're hearing are second and third order distortions that are induced by overdriving the signal to a certain degree... you can saturate a transformer with high signal levels in a solid state pre and result in sound that reflects more tube than an actual tube amp.

It's both, or it's neither... It's tube, or it's not... A tube is only one factor in the "vibe" of a preamp. Transformers can have as much, or more impact on the perceived warmth of the signal. What you're hearing are second and third order distortions that are induced by overdriving the signal to a certain degree... you can saturate a transformer with high signal levels in a solid state pre and result in sound that reflects more tube than an actual tube amp.

Yup !

do you think i should get solid state and if i want to warm it up just add effects like distortion on cubase?

ok but is that a solid state or tube sound?

I think it's the compressor and eq as much or more than the mic and pre in that particular clip.

There is no dynamic or sibilence to that clip. It's in your face but there's no real proximity effect either.

At the level that guy is operating at it's very likely a very expensive mic through another expensive pre, and then the vocal is fiddled with in post with expensive compression and eq. $5 says the comp is a Distressor.

It's not a Chinese toob mic through a GAP pre and an RNC with Cubase eq applied.

do you think i should get solid state and if i want to warm it up just add effects like distortion on cubase?

you don't need tubes to get a "warm" sound. Neves are solid state and have a really nice mellow low end.

I can sometimes tell guitar and amp combinations that were used on recordings, but sometimes I am way off even when I thought I was spot on. Jimmy Eat World used a Fender supersonic and Gretch something for their album Futures, I was pretty sure it was a Marshall with a Les Paul. Preamps and mics are even more subtle, so nobody is going to know you didn't use tubes! Your secret will be safe.

Back