What kind of monitors?

paganprogress

I am interested in what kind of monitors people are using with thier Ntrack. Allthough I am on a budget and the cheap ones are probably the way I will go,(<$200) post anything you are using and why you like it, as this can be helpfull to many. - Thier are deals out there on occasion, and maybe we can grab one of those posted if the timing is right, ceterus parabus. Thanks!

Just my 2cents-
For less than $200, you're not going to find much worthwhile.
You'd be better off running a line-out to your decent home stereo set with the EQ flat and no bass-boost and comparing your mixes to commercial CDs of the same type of music. Also compare your mixes on a boombox and good car stereo.

Then save your pennies for some good monitors. (I'm still doing that myself....)

I'm using Edirol MA10-DBK monitors. They're not very good at all, but probably better than anything else I have. The bass response is nil, so I always have to keep in mind that even though I barely hear the bass while mixing, it's definitely going to be there on any other system. Basically, if you have a decent stereo you can hook your machine up to, go for that. Otherwise, save for something good.

Try mounting a pair of small 2-way or 3-way Bookshelf Speakers on Horizontal or Vertical poles (get a cheap pair of Speaker swivel mounts at Wal-Mart, around $10.00) so you can position the two speakers directly in front of you, like a giant set of headphones. Most studios use this type of "Near-Field" monitor setup, it gives you EXCELLANT sound quality and you can power them off of a small 50-watt Stereo amplifier. If you want to see a picture of what I'm talking about, let me know, I'll Email you a shot of my personal studio monitor setup....

On a limited budget . . .

I've got my midi controller going to my pc from there the audio output is sent to my Sony stereo and out to two very nice JBL speakers! May not be the most professional but after all, isn't this all about home recording? AND it works for me just fine! :D

since most people hear my stuff online, I mix through pc speakers with a subwoofer. it gives the best response for the target audience.

nickdahl said:
I use a pair of KRK V8 powered monitors with n-Track. Works great!

Nick

Nick: Are you by chance the Nick Dahl who played bass in a new wave band with Dan Poffenberrger in the 80s, In Iowa? I think they were called The Keys.

This might be a long shot, but I thought I'd ask....

J.R.

Back