what kind of guitar is this??

Definitely a Maccaferri...or a Maccaferri copy. The bridge and the soundhole give it away. The song is called Django's Tiger, and that is definitely a nod to Django Reinhardt a legendary Jazz guy. I love to hear guys rip it up on acoustics...no gain to hide your technique on an acoustic. You either have the chops, or you look like an ass. This dude has the chops...smokin player. Thanks for posting.

edgarallanpoe said:
This dude has the chops...smokin player. Thanks for posting.

Definately. Chops like that, you could play a plank o' pine with chicken wire and probably be happnin'....well, maybe.

& what about the fact that Django had 2 stumps where fingers should have been which makes him even more awe inspiring

I practice pretty much all of my stuff on acoustic & it don't half make the electric feel a lot easier & also the fact that if you don't cut it on acoustic it makes you look like a twat

Davey Graham plays some mean jazz on an acoustic

aberyClark said:
this guy would probably get board playing "on top of old smokey"

yeah maybe. But I'll bet you'd never hear a version on top of old smokey sound so whacked out

what a fuckin' player

wonder if he knows mustang sally :rolleyes:

The guitar is a SELMER or a copy of one. Macaferri was the designer of some of Selmer's most well know designs. Marrio Macaferri, by the way, was an amazingly good player himself. He also later came out with a guitar (and a uke, and I think a mandolin as well) made completely out of plastic. Not a toy, buy a real, honest to goodness, kick ass guitar. I've got a few friends who have them, and they are wicked cool. A truly unique instrument.

As far as the player, he's pretty good, but I've seen videos of 8-10 year old gypsy kids who could just SMOKE his ass. Some of the funniest (and most amazing) shit you've ever seen, watching a little 8 year old kid do Django like most people only wish they could.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

As far as the player, he's pretty good, but I've seen videos of 8-10 year old gypsy kids who could just SMOKE his ass. Some of the funniest (and most amazing) shit you've ever seen, watching a little 8 year old kid do Django like most people only wish they could.

I own a DVD of the only known footage of Django playing. He does a run up the neck with ONE finger stopping on notes of the scale he was playing and doing this while tremolo picking (alternate picking on one string....quickly) every guitarists I've showed this to says "wait...rewind that"....I laugh every time. It's a jaw dropping experience to be sure. I ordered this video, it's mostly about Stephan Grapelli, from France. I think it costs about $75.00 U.S. Worth it to me. If there is a guitar player out there that's never heard him play...pic up ANY CD he's played on. All his solos were killer.He had a great feel.

J.P.

sweetpeee said:

I own a DVD of the only known footage of Django playing. He does a run up the neck with ONE finger stopping on notes of the scale he was playing and doing this while tremolo picking (alternate picking on one string....quickly) every guitarists I've showed this to says "wait...rewind that"....I laugh every time. It's a jaw dropping experience to be sure. I ordered this video, it's mostly about Stephan Grapelli, from France. I think it costs about $75.00 U.S. Worth it to me. If there is a guitar player out there that's never heard him play...pic up ANY CD he's played on. All his solos were killer.He had a great feel.

J.P.

& HE ONLY HAD TWO COMPLETE FINGERS...............go figure......................gypsy bastard

BTW what's the DVD called

If you google "Django" you'll find sites that have the history of this guy and of the genre of Gypsy guitar. He was the real thing.

As I recall the story, he lost his fingers when he was in his early '20s in a caravan fire; he went in to a burning caravan wagon to pull others out (I think it may have been his wife and child) and they survived. But he was burned so badly that he lost two fingers. Had a lot of facial, neck and body scarring that was never really evident in the pics of him, but he suffered from severe pain the rest of his life from the burns.

He had developed a pretty good reputation as a guitarist at the time he was injured; that stopped dead in his tracks and he had no career - couldn't read, had nothing else, and a wife and child to support. He went into a deep depression and came out of it slowly - as he was teaching himself to play all over again without his fingers. That's how he came up with his unique technique - it was that or starve - and how the Django sound developed.

& HE ONLY HAD TWO COMPLETE FINGERS...............go figure......................gypsy bastard

lol, to be fair, he used three fingers for chording as well as his thumb...his ring finger he used mostly for fretting the highest strings, but it was not much use otherwise.

BTW what's the DVD called

Here's a link...enjoy!

http://www.musiconearth.co.uk/

He had developed a pretty good reputation as a guitarist at the time he was injured; that stopped dead in his tracks and he had no career - couldn't read, had nothing else, and a wife and child to support. He went into a deep depression and came out of it slowly - as he was teaching himself to play all over again without his fingers. That's how he came up with his unique technique - it was that or starve - and how the Django sound developed.

As an aside: Anyone know who Adres Segovia was?? The father of modern classical guitar? The "maestro"? No one could come near Segovia as far as classical guitar...he's still revered. Anyway, in the guitar handbook, they detailed a situation that went something like this:

Segovia met Django...Django started playing something and Segovia liked it so much, he asked who the artist was, so he could get the sheet muisic for the piece. Django chuckled and explained that he was improvising...

THAT is how good Django was! There's a whole treasure chest of licks/techniques that can be learned from him, not to mention the lick Stephan Grapelli did on the violin. I've never even tried to learn a Django tune, like Robert Johnson, I consider him sacred/do not touch...just listen. Maybe I just don't want to find out how they did what they did...it might somehow take away from the listening experience.

J.P.

Back