What kind of cable do I need?

Trovador98

Hi guys -
I feel a little silly asking this question so I figured it should go in the noob section.

I'm connecting my Tascam 246 to my M Audio monitors for the first time. I have an RCA to 1/4 TS jack and it sounds good. I just noticed, however that the back panel says to use a TRS jack. Does it matter in this case? Will I damage something? Should I get RCA to XLR instead?
Thanks! -Brian
Here's a pic:
image_zpspnsfmt5c.jpeg

For the most part if there's no hum then connecting unbalanced is fine. As your output is unbalanced you have no choice.

If you do have noise when connecting unbalanced with balanced equipment you can build application specific cables according the the charts here: Sound System Interconnection.

I'd argue that the Tascam 246 is as good as it ever got in regard to 4-track cassette recorders.

Heh! Well I would argue that compared with even 16 bit digital, cassette is crud! (My Sony Dolby S is pretty damn good and better, probably than the Teac but still not as flat, low in distortion and noise as digits!)

Dave.

Heh! Well I would argue that compared with even 16 bit digital, cassette is crud! (My Sony Dolby S is pretty damn good and better, probably than the Teac but still not as flat, low in distortion and noise as digits!)

Dave.

I have a nice interface with the UA apollo twin. This is really so I can listen to those old 4 tracks cassettes I made in the early 90's as a teenager. The cassette is kind of lo-fi but certainly has "character" that's fun to listen to.

Sounds like it's time to "remaster" those tapes to WAV files. Eventually, the tape will lose portions of it's magnetism and you'll be unhappy for not having it elsewhere (trust me, all my 80s tapes went away when we moved and packed the tapes too close to an 18" EV (the back part...you know...the magnet)) :( They still played but they got loud then quiet then loud then quiet....

Back