What keyboard to buy??

close

I want to start making music but don't know what keyboard to buy. What would be the best for making hip hop music on?

close said:
I want to start making music but don't know what keyboard to buy. What would be the best for making hip hop music on?

Any local music stores you can visit? I'm sure you might garner some good recommendations here, but I wouldn't buy one just based on what people say. Always a good idea to get out and try various ones out - if this is possible of course.

close said:

Price range?

Like warble said, just go to a store and start playing with them.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Emu MoPhatt... designed specifically for hippity hop.

So was the Korg Triton, Akai MPC2000 and Yamaha Motif. Your comment isn't very helpful.

The guy needs to try stuff for himself.

brzilian said:
So was the Korg Triton, Akai MPC2000 and Yamaha Motif. Your comment isn't very helpful.

That's why he has > 1500 posts in about one year... quantity over quality, you know :)

Just kidding around...........

Of course, now that I know the Triton was designed for hip-hop, I'll have to sell my rack.... :eek:

if you have the means...i find it wiser to buy a cheaper keyboard as a controller...and use outboard modules or sample programs instead of buying a keyboard such as the triton and motif that already have a crapload of sounds on them....I bought a Yamah P-120 digital piano because of the fact that it has 88 weighted keys...and I run it into my 002R and use Reason and Sample Tank for my sounds. That's just me though, you may want one of the workstations.

I'm trying to research which board would be the best for me when I get some income rolling in. I already have the Roland 10 and the Oxygen 02 for the laptop, both of them using Reason 3. But I don't want to be totally dependent on one type of recording method so I'm looking at a Triton Extreme, probably just the 61-key model and maybe adding a MoPhatt to it later. If I did my homework, the Extreme should have more sounds to tweak with than the Studio version...plus it's dark so I can have everything in my studio dark (except my laptop setup).

brzilian said:

Oh really? Not to the point that the MoPhatt was. The MoPhatt was designed ONLY for rap/hip hop/urban music. It also costs about 1/4th the cost of a Triton or Motif, and 1/2 the cost of a MPC.

Also, the Triton, MPC and Motif are **FAR** more versatile than the MoPhatt, but also less specialized. The MoPhatt is probably the single best unit on the market for making hip hop for the inexperienced user.

Personally though, give me an ARP Odyssey, Jupiter 8 or Prophet 5 any day over those romplers and samplers.

If you want basic old school sounds then the Korg 01/W is a great used piece of gear. If you're into techno, movie stuff, and more then the Access Virus "C" just plain kicks ass! Those are my 2 go to boards.

brzilian said:

The guy needs to try stuff for himself.

Oh NO !!!! Now I'll have to sell my Motif :eek:

Hahahahahaha............. :p

Casio's are good.
My Grandpa had one and it had a little scratch thingy on the side for rappers. It worked rather well.

no mo phatt

let me save you some money!!! the mo phatt is not and i repeat is not the way to got i wouldnt buy one for 50 bucks!!!!, its the sterotypical canned riffs and bullshit loops, do not get that!!! there are way too many options, what i will say is get something expandable and tweakable, buy 1 thing and master it before you buy anything else. my recommendation is based on experience level and budget, if you are a korg user then the motif will give you fits!! if you are a yamaha user then vice versa, that being said go to the store and play with some gear, if you can understand it and do what you want without reading the manual, then thats your winner.

with the exception of reason and the roland crap with the pads that looks like a mpc i have worked on almost everything supposedly "hip hop", so if you have questions about what worked for me hit me up,

current setup
cubase sx2 = changed my world!!!
presonus firepod
mpc 1000
motif 6

I have an old korg n364.....you can pick one up cheap now! Lots of sounds...onboard sequencer.....a very good board with very usable sounds on it and is backwards compatible with the 01/w, M1 and a few others.

hip hop sounds huh? Well I can tell yeah that being the owner of a beautiful Triton Studio 88 that I am disapointed that all its drum loops are geared toward hip hop and techno players. I had to redo most of the loops for rock, etc. use. For the person that is looking into getting the Triton Extreme, trust me on this. I played it, even though its pretty much the same, spend the extra money on a Studio 88. I have 12 keyboards and the Triton is my fav. Currently what I am using for a live setup is my Roland A70 controller hooked to my computer and on the computer I have the Korg Legacy Collection and also the Native Instruments express keys. I really dig that B3 synth and I layer that with my JV1080. Both of those make a very impressive rock organ. I agree though with the majority of you all, take your time in buying the keyboard. Took me 2 years to decide on the Triton because it was specific for what I use it for. There is alot of great stuff out there and if you wait long enough something new and better will come out. Also, buying used it a great way to go, you save alot of money and can get some great gear. The old Junos are coming back for alot of hiphop trance sounds. Good luck

Back