What Key is this song in?

Nola

Hi, I can't figure out what key this song I wrote is in.

The chords are:

G-Bb-F (verse)

C-G (bridgey type thing)

Bb-F-C (outro/chorus type part)

If it's in F, how does the G major chord fit? Or does it start in G with a flat III and flat VII chord and then modulate to F?

Thanks

Last edited:
thanks everyone. i can see how it's in C, but where would the Bb chord be coming from?

I think you've just got a sneaky little modulation going on. It's not that uncommon. The song I have up on the Clinic does that.

You are trying to force man made constructs upon an inherently unquantifiable phenomenon. Just let it go man. Let it go and don't look back.

When you open the door between the spheres, malevolent forces can easily slip through. TURN BACK NOW.

Most times when a conversation nose dives like this, I tell the person to go back on their meds. I suggest you stop taking yours. :D

I posted a link to the song in the first comment in case hearing it helps at all. like to hear how the chords move. It's an awful technical recording, sorry.

Oh I just read Chilli's comment. Where does that flat 7 chord come from is it borrowed from a mode or something like that?

It comes about because someone decided to break the rules. It's not part of a scale, but the rest of your chords indicate the C maj scale. Then you throw in the flatted 7th. What would your A chord be in this song; major or minor?

What would your A chord be in this song; major or minor?

I'm not sure, Chili. I would think it would be minor if it's in C.

That's weird it's common because I've never seen it before and thought it sounded weird and dark. Is there a famous song with it so I can listen?

Back