What is your favorite USB/Firewire Interface?

What's your favorite budget portable audio interface?

• PreSonus Firebox

Votes: 123 30.3%
  • M-Audio 410

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • Digidesign MBox

Votes: 34 8.4%
  • Focusrite Saffire

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Edirol UA25

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Mackie Spike

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 153 37.7%

• Total voters
I was going for the M-Audio Fast Track USB.
Anything wrong with it?
Is the sound quality adequate?
I will only be recording one channel at a time.
I don't have a firewire port.

Last edited:
I need something to replace my FIREBOX, considering it's broke, and presonus doesn't even really care bout it anymore!

any suggestions?

Apogee for me

I record at home using a MacbookPro and Apogee Duet, it was quite an investment (especially in Australia) for my modest little set up. Two channel firewire interface with Maestro Software for input and output monitoring, phantom power.... just a great compact good sounding unit.

I have two mics sm58 and NT 1000 I did originally buy a cheap DBX pre 7yrs ago which no longer works. Can't say it was a good choice, the Rhode never sounded good through it.

Do I actually need a preamp?

Having read quite a few threads here I agree with only buying quality gear, unless something is going to add to my sound I'll stick with the basics.

In saying that, having a quality sound source makes a huge difference. For example, my first acoustic recordings was with a $400 Fender. With the right strings and careful tuning is sounded pleasing live. Put it through the Rhode and I struggled to get it sounding acceptable.

I now own a Breedlove NW Classic Masterclass series with Baggs electronics. The most beautiful sounding acoustic, either acoustic or plugged in. That's a $5,000 acoustic worth more than everything else in my setup!

Heck it's almost worth more than my work van!:D

I know some of you will recommend a Mic Pre (and please do) but what about a good tube compressor instead? Do I actually need a pre?

Btw: I record into Logic Studio, my acoustic, vocal and I have a Bass all else is software, no other outboard gear.... oh of course small EMES Pink monitors.

This is quite interesting to see Presonus so popular. I have a Presonus Inspire firewire card and have been wondering about how well it stands in the market, quality wise.

Maybe I'll keep ot for a while longer it certainly causes me no grief.

Keep in mind this poll was started in 2005 and only the last 5 posts were from this year.

They really should make the posts turn a different color after a year.

Not saying Presonus isn't great - it is a great company! :)

By a long shot the weak point in my chain is the Delta 1010LT, which has been a great working unit and a superb value but it's pretty well known the conversion is crap. What do you expect for the money?

I'd been looking at RME and Apogee products but the one suggested by moresound on another post, the Yamaha MR816X has caught my eye. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR816X
It might be the poor man's way of getting top quality mic pre's, conversion and reverb on the cheap.

Keep in mind this poll was started in 2005 and only the last 5 posts were from this year.

I'd been looking at RME and Apogee products but the one suggested by moresound on another post, the Yamaha MR816X has caught my eye.

Ahhh, I hadn't actually looked at the dates. Thread dredged up from the past.

Strange you mention the Steinberg/Yamaha product, it also caught my eye a few months back.

I was also looking at the Golden Age Project Pre-73. They seem to have got a lot of good press as well.

My first interface was a MOTU 828mk3 and it gave me nothing but problems. It was a shame that it didn't seem to agree with my system as it was a killer device, great on-board DSP effects and random goodies but the drivers just didn't seem to jive with my computer, would get hang-ups and glitches in the audio constantly.

So I sold it for a profit :D

Picked up a Firewire 1814 from M-Audio and it was like night and day. Not a single problem, once in a blue moon the unit will need to be rebooted. It doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles of the 828 but it gets the job done.

Highly recommend it for people looking for a Firewire interface.

I have to come clean, im more of a PCI type of guy. But I gave in since I bought a nice laptop, for ease of traveling back and forth from a friends house to mine. I bought a Motu Ultralite Mk3, a Blue Baby Bottle, a pair of Krk PR5 Gen 2, and Cubase 5 full edition. I have to say, I don't know if it's the semi-pro gear I have, or the ear for mixing...but I haven't had anything but huge compliments on the sound. Everyone thinks im recording in a world class studio, when in reality...it's just in my spare bedroom, with a couple of foam pieces in the closet. =

Motu Ultralite Mk3 for the win. (Non Hybrid)

I use a Presonus Firestudio (actually two of them ganged if needed) and a Presonus Digimax FS and an ART Digital MPA. This gives me 18 channels of inputs or 26 channels if I bring along the second Firestudio. They seem to be working fine with my AMD Quad core processor with Windows 7. I use them mostly for location recording and have them mounted in an 8 space rack that I haul around with me when needed (like tonight). I have my third Firestudio for sale in the "Free Ads for Music / Recording Equipment" area.

These suggestions are all for under $1000, you can obviously get better if you pay more. This is more for the budget studio.

For firewire my favorite is the Phonic Firefly 808, because it's dual USB and firewire, for extra compatability. I also really like the PreSonus Firestudio (or Firebox if you just want a simple 2x2). MOTU also has some great stuff.

For USB as I mentioned the Firefly 808, also the Roland Octacapture is really cool, with an "autosense" feature that is golden if you're trying to record yourself. But my favorite of all is the Zoom R8/R16/R24 for their pure versatility. This unit is somewhat of a "jack of all trades" so it doesn't have the greatest mic pre's (although they're decent and comparable to others at a similar price point), but what you can do with it, you really can't do with any other interface. Capture some stand alone recordings, then import the .wav files, and in a size that fits your whole studio in a small bag if need be. I own this one, not because it's the greatest interface out there, but because with it's flexibility, I don't know how I would be able to do what I do without it. It just fits the way I work.

Just wanted to make a quick mention that I bought a two piece set back in 2002/3... It was an m-audio delta 66 with the OMNI I/O... Not the usb omni piece but the other one that runs as a breakout box.... Anyway, I've been using it since with great results... First with cool edit, then audition, and lastly with cubase sx3... Its been fantastic... Never an issue (knock on wood)... I see alot of folks who have issues with their hardware, and I can't help but wonder if some of that has to do with using usb/firewire over a dedicated card!! Only thing is that my setup is definitely not portable!!!!

These suggestions are all for under $1000, you can obviously get better if you pay more. This is more for the budget studio.

For firewire my favorite is the Phonic Firefly 808, because it's dual USB and firewire, for extra compatability. I also really like the PreSonus Firestudio (or Firebox if you just want a simple 2x2). MOTU also has some great stuff.

For USB as I mentioned the Firefly 808, also the Roland Octacapture is really cool, with an "autosense" feature that is golden if you're trying to record yourself. But my favorite of all is the Zoom R8/R16/R24 for their pure versatility. This unit is somewhat of a "jack of all trades" so it doesn't have the greatest mic pre's (although they're decent and comparable to others at a similar price point), but what you can do with it, you really can't do with any other interface. Capture some stand alone recordings, then import the .wav files, and in a size that fits your whole studio in a small bag if need be. I own this one, not because it's the greatest interface out there, but because with it's flexibility, I don't know how I would be able to do what I do without it. It just fits the way I work.

I'm also very VERY interested in Zoom's R24!!! How about its built? Will it be reliable for years of abuse?

Hey guys, i've been researching for a little while now what interface to get, and i'm stuck between the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, and the Saffire Pro 40, (also the Liquid 56 isn't out of the question). I have a budget of around 1000, but the less means more mics, etc.

I just got an iMac, and i've heard MOTU is awesome on macs, but i'm still torn between the two, (i'd prefer to keep the 56 out unless its REALLY that much better).

My purposes of use will be some solo home recordings, but i want to be able to record full bands; as well as ADAT and midi i/o which i believe both have.

I am wondering if the MOTU is really worth the extra cash (750$ ?) over the 40 (500$ ?) I am not too concerned with the effects on the MOTU beings that im fine with applying those via my DAW, which btw i havent decided on whether i'm getting Logic, or Pro Tools, but will most likely be Logic Pro 9.

I am mainly wondering if anyone has experience with the quality of the preamps on both, headroom, etc. And if it would make sense to get one then later on get the other and connect via ADAT.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I'm also looking at getting an interface soon. Like the original poster said, I'm just wanting to do some at home writing and practicing type things. Nothing professional. Firewire is not an option for me though. What is good that doesn't use FW?

<$200 please

Last edited:
Back