what is typicaL lifespan of cd burner?

fenix

I've had an Asus cd burner for my DAW for about 2 1/2 years. It won't read or write anymore. What is the typical lifespan of cd burners?

I have an old Plextor 4/12 that is still running, except the Win95 computer it is on, I just recently retired because I think it has motherboard issues, or something that serious. I think it is the number of burns, ...not nec the age of a CD burner that contribute more to its lifespan. I estimate I have made over 3000 copies on that Plextor.

These new "generic" burners, I might give them a couple of years. I got my Plextor in 96...I think...maybe 98.

I went thru 3 plextors in about 5 0r 6 years. I think 250 cd's or 2 years whichever comes first :) I think 2 of them still burned but they had trouble reading the index on most cd's which would indicate the optics were out of alignment... Since I dont burn many anymore Im hoping the last one I got will last awhile...

I had one of the Tascam SCSI burners that breathed it last after about 3 years. I bought it in '00 and that was a LOOOOOONG time ago in computer years! I paid $450 for it and was glad to find it at that price. Now I use a Plextor, but mine's probably 8 months old.

I'm burningh a CD on the first one I ever bought right now. About 5 years old and still fine. It's a Hewlett Packard 8100.

You never know. I have a Smart and Friendly (not in business anymore) 6x4 burner that's still an absolute champ in a hand-me-down machine I gave my sister. OTOH, I have an Optorite 4x DVD burner (based on a Sanyo chipset) that died within a year. Can read but won't burn DVDs.

My current machines use a still working 4 year old Aopen 20x CD burner (based on a Ricoh mechanism) and a Pioneer 16x DVD burner from this year. I got the Pioneer based on my experiences with my friend/roommate's Pioneer which has lasted 3 years and is still trundling along. I'm a very big fan of Pioneers, Plextors, and Ricohs...

I haven't had one die yet. I kept buying new ones for newer options/faster speeds. However, I would be surprised if I had burned any less than 3000 CD's on each of them.

Back