What is this technique called??

Bassmusic808

I've seen it on pretty much every professional recording when I load the song into a freq analizer. It's when the eq drops off at about 15-16k down to below -100 db. I'm sure it has been discussed here, I just don't know what its called so I can't search for it. Also, what are the benefits of doing this? Thanks.

I've seen it on pretty much every professional recording when I load the song into a freq analizer. It's when the eq drops off at about 15-16k down to below -100 db. I'm sure it has been discussed here, I just don't know what its called so I can't search for it. Also, what are the benefits of doing this? Thanks.

Are you loading MP3's?

That doesn't sound like somethong that would be done intentionally, the only benifit would be to remove or reduce aliasing artifacts when dithering if you were using a low sample rate and low bitrate converters which would not be used in professional recordings anyway. I agree with the MP3 query. ??

I've actually ripped a few "off the shelf" and see the same thing -- Elliptic filters above 16kHz.

Can't imagine for the life of me why...

I guess somebody didn´t hear any change with or without, so he just dropped everything above 16k. Who would ever miss it...

I've actually ripped a few "off the shelf" and see the same thing -- Elliptic filters above 16kHz.

Can't imagine for the life of me why...
Anemophobia, perhaps?

Either that or they figure that high-frequency squeal that accidentally crept into the master is easier to remove by full HF lobotomy than actual surgery.

G.

Back