what is this SPDIF

What he said:)

It's the digital equivilant of an analog stereo input/output. You can connect the SPDIF out of things like a synthesizer to the SPDIF in of your sound card and voila, you have just imported a digital version of the keyboard's sound. The sound blaster will take take of converting it back to analog.

If you want to export a digital version of whatever your sound card is processing, connect your soundblaster SPDIF out to a SPDIF in on some other device. Same results.

It's basically a way of transmitting audio in a digital format, the advantage being that it is (usually) impervious to noise and you can get stereo while only using one cable.

I connect the SPDIF out of my Roland sound module to the SPDIF in of my Aardvark Q10...very nice!!

nice!

ok ok i got it........now here is the question, you said i could hook my synthesizer in through this SPDIF IN port right? how would that work , cuz it is a different size than a regular gutiar chord.......? and what advantage would that have over just pluggin in my synth into the line/mic in? thanks for your patience, its great to finally learn this stuff. later!
justin

Sorry, but that's a digital in/out. You can only connect another digital device to it. Unless you synth or whatever you want to connect has a S/PDIF output, you can't connect it to the cards S/PDIF input. S/PDIF lines are usually terminated in an RCA type connector.

Back