What is this (Pic inside)

GamezBond

486455795_l.jpg

caught my eye...looks interesting

bennychico11 said:
complete with handy, space saving remote controller!
:p

LOL! That thing probably isn't lightweight either...but "big daddy" next to it, well, I'm sure the remote has nothing on him.

Yep, it's a Studer...I did a Google image search on "Studer tape"...and it came up...you should see how it looks inside!

It's a piece of junk - if you just send it to me, I will gladly dispose of it for you. :D

yeah, thats a 2 inch 24 track tape machine. However, from first glance I can't be sure that it's a studer cause there are various models that tend to build off the studer design.

If you're asking to buy it, then by all means give it a shot. A piece like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it starts in the thousands. And that's without the remote.

Then that's not to mention any maintinence and/or replacement parts installation which can cost you a few thousand more. Plus the additional cost of tweaking it out. You can't expect to have a tape machine record good sound without optimally adjusting the heads and having the right heads in the first place.

Without any of that, you basically have a giant piece of useless junk.

Then it looks like it had an optional metering section added on to it, unless that model comes with it already. So you have to factor that in. Some tape machines ask you to purchase the metering seperately.

Then not to mention the steep price for reel-to-reel, which is not so easy to find these days. It is making a comeback, but it's still pricey.

In other words, if you want to spend as much as you would for a porshe, plus all a porshes maintenence, then go for it. I'm sure several studios have caught on to it.

Let's put it this way, if I found that laying next to a dumpster at a studio, you bet your ass I'm pushing it 10 miles all the way home. Even if it does weigh as much as a refrigerator.

Fun fact:

The motors inside a tape machine like that has enough torque to spin a car effortlessly.

I want something with lots of blinking lights and buttons and knobbies...maybe neon inside with plexiglass covers...you know, impressive looking....It's gotta look complicated :D

There are too many people out there who think all they have to do is push a button and crank one knob to get sound....I figure if I got racks full of flashing lights and rows of jumping LEDS and a few hundred knobs they will be impressed. :cool:

...wait a minute...we need all those switches, knobs and LEDS to make the CDs those other folks play with just a push of a button....Why is that? :confused:

I recorded in a place that had a 24 track 2" studer, We were there for 2 weeks. The studio owner had to have a tech come & monkey with it 6 of those days. Not to say it wasn't great, but jesus those things are touchy& complicated. If you reeeeaaaaaalllly like analog, go for it. I'd say since everything ends up digital anyway these days, get a sweet DAW and continually throw $100 bills out the window. ;)

chizzy said:
I recorded in a place that had a 24 track 2" studer, We were there for 2 weeks. The studio owner had to have a tech come & monkey with it 6 of those days. Not to say it wasn't great, but jesus those things are touchy& complicated. If you reeeeaaaaaalllly like analog, go for it. I'd say since everything ends up digital anyway these days, get a sweet DAW and continually throw $100 bills out the window. ;)

that's why you hire a skilled intern to do it for you. Of course you also have to keep his ankle chained to it.

Wow...The Otari 2" ATR I worked with 15 years ago was a lot more compact...Meters all on the face below the reels, calibration a piece of pie.... :cool: This looks like the microwave goes up top and the convection goes under the tape hubs...

Eric

GamezBond said:
486455795_l.jpg

caught my eye...looks interesting

Looks like a piece of sh-uhhh- equipment we used to use in a studio in 1989!
And yes chizzy. "Touchy" only barely begins to describe the personality of these big beasts.

Back