What is this noise and how do I stop it?

Probably the power management in your laptop cycling the CPU speed. Not sure if there's anything you can do about it except making sure your laptop's case is properly grounded.

Oh, it might also be power cycling on your laptop's wireless hardware if you have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth turned on. Try disabling that and see if the noise goes away.

dgatwood - "power management in your laptop cycling the CPU speed" - Can you explain that a little more or send a link? I've turned off the wireless interface without results (HP dv2000, has an external switch). The house I live in is brand new (2005) and I use furman power conditioners. My guess is that grounding would be properly taken care of in new construction. Hmm...

Steenamaroo - Plugged in to the wall, but the battery is still in. When I get back after the holiday weekend I'll take out the battery to see if it helps. The alternative is to use my old desktop for tracking. I built it in 2004, so it's getting a little slow for mixing but it can track like a mofo.

happy thanksgiving.

Back