What is the real difference between vista 32 bit and 64 bit ? ?

rxkevco

I know that having a 64 bit system means working with twice as much information as a 32 bit system, , but with regards to installing a 64 bit OS on a daw, , what is the real difference, , apart from being able to work with more ram ? ? ?

I have an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard which supports 64 bit operations, , a dualcore cpu ( soon to be quad ) and 4gb of Geil pc2 8500 ram.
Will be running cubase SL3.

The general rule for 64 bit is that you dont want to mix 64 bit hosts (sonar is the only one I know of) and 32bit plugins.

As far as your setup, SL3 is a 32 bit program so you will gain nothing by running it on a 64bit OS since the memory utilization rules are program specific, not the OS

Apology accepted, , , thanks for all the help guys.

I am building my first daw and want explore all the options and gain the most from the equipment i have and plan on buying, , thats why i asked the question in the first place !
I dont want to spend all the cash and then go through all the pain of building my own system from scratch (1st timer ), , only to find out afterwards that if i had done " this " or "that " then i would have a better system.
The only reason i asked about 64bit systems is in case i need to utilise more ram in the future, as the asus P5Q PRO board i have bought can utilise 8gb with a 64bit OS. I cant ever see myself needing that much, but you never know these days, , , i want to future proof my system as much as possible, , if the word futureproof has any meaning these days ! !
Steinberg are releasing more and more drivers for vista 64bit and xp 64bit systems, so some of their software must be able to run with 64bits.
If so, i am willing to upgrade to whatever version i need, and if it runs better on 64 bit OS then i will go for it.
I run a lot of NI softsyths as well as hardware rack equipment and hardware synths and keys.
I dont want to waste money if next year everyone is dissing 32bit systems.

Back