What IS the proper way to wrap cables?

crazydoc said:
Well, you're a limey - the whole damned country is bass-ackwards, so you fit right in. :)

You're so right. Maybe you should come and sample the United States of Britain yourself sometime.

Do you know that lefties live on average 9 years less than right-handed people? it's a sad truth.

We lefties don't live as long because we keep getting bumped off by CIA backed counter insurgents...

...oh, you mean left HANDED ;-)

But seriously, on the cables, I used to freak out other members of the band by folding cables and then when small enough tying them in a loose knott. They tend not to tangle up at all like this and you have no problem pulling a specific cable out from the bunch. The down side is that it may in theory weaken the cable, that said I have some guitar cables which are 20+ years old and were always stored using this method and still work fine!

I guess it's a trade off bertween convenience and speed vs prolonging cable life - you make a choice.

glynb said:

I guess it's a trade off bertween convenience and speed vs prolonging cable life - you make a choice.

You get a little piece of tie line, tie it on to one end of the cable, and you coil it properly. I would bet you $1000 I can coil a cable properly faster than you can fuck up a cable 9as you HAVE been doing). Of course, I am a stagehand, and I probably coil more cables in a month than you have, or will, in your lifetime, but none the less, there is no reason to fuck up your cables. You can have convenience and longevity. Just learn how to over-under your cables, and you will be set.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

noisedude said:
Do you know that lefties live on average 9 years less than right-handed people? it's a sad truth.
Quick, where do I go to change?:D

Do you have a source for that factoid? I'd be interested in seeing how the conclusions were reached.

"Life expectancy of left-handers and right-handers are the same.

There was a controversial study done in 1980 by Halpern & Cohen that suggested left-handed people had an average life expectancy of 9 years less than right-handed people. Data was based on second-hand information: surveys from the next-of-kin of recently deceased persons asking about right/left handedness and age of death. They found left-handed average age of death was 66; right-handed average age was 75.

Unfortunately, this study keeps getting quoted even though more recent data has shown their hypothesis is not supported. Second hand survey data is not a sound methodology."

http://www.drdaveanddee.com/left.html

Light said:
You get a little piece of tie line, tie it on to one end of the cable, and you coil it properly. I would bet you $1000 I can coil a cable properly faster than you can fuck up a cable 9as you HAVE been doing). Of course, I am a stagehand, and I probably coil more cables in a month than you have, or will, in your lifetime, but none the less, there is no reason to fuck up your cables. You can have convenience and longevity. Just learn how to over-under your cables, and you will be set.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Cables have a minimum bend radius. Any method that violates that radius will shorten the cables life. I fold individual mic cables but I don't violate the minimum bend radius. If your doing snakes then coils are the only way to do it because when you figure the total cable diameter and calculate the minimum bend radius you find that you can't do anything else. Not all cables have the same minimum bend radius. Coax, fiber optic and solid core all have a different requirements. Its best to know what kinda cable it is because you can coil it too tight if your not aware. Im pretty anal about how I handle cables so I look before I do anything that could damage them. I've got like 40 mic cables that are folded w/6 inch min radius. None of the snakes, guitar, midi or Monster cables are folded. The Monster cables are Studio quality ones I use only for the condensor mics, the dynamics get the cheaper folded ones because they are essentially throw aways after being abused by band members. Another thing about coiling, make sure you lay the cable out in the straightest line before coiling it to make sure the cable is free to untwist. I ruined a 100 ft mic cable once because I was talking while coiling and the far end was caught in a rats nest and it wrinkled the jacket and tore off a soldered joint. I should design a coiling jig.

SoMm

Back