What is the point of "bouncing" a mix down to stereo track in the recording software?

stratmaster713

What is the point of "bouncing" a mix down to stereo track in the recording software?

I use Cubase 5 FWIW

I don't get why this is common practice (or maybe it's not?) when if I want to export the file, I just export it from cubase, and it makes it a stereo file?

Am I missing something here?:confused:

Is it so when you go to master all the tracks together at once?

It can save processing power. If you have a slow cpu and 10 simultaneous tracks with plugins are bogging down the system and you need more tracks, you can make sure they are mixed how you want them and bounce them down (mixdown) to a stereo track with all effects applied. It's similar to the "exporting" you describe except it automagically puts the mixdown into it's own track for you and (in most cases) allows you to undo if you messed up. It's better practice to group your bounces (guitar tracks to one track, drums to another, etc.) instead of the simplified way I just described. If you aren't hitting this kind of CPU wall in your projects it is something you will rarely use.

It can save processing power. If you have a slow cpu and 10 simultaneous tracks with plugins are bogging down the system and you need more tracks, you can make sure they are mixed how you want them and bounce them down (mixdown) to a stereo track with all effects applied. It's similar to the "exporting" you describe except it automagically puts the mixdown into it's own track for you and (in most cases) allows you to undo if you messed up. It's better practice to group your bounces (guitar tracks to one track, drums to another, etc.) instead of the simplified way I just described. If you aren't hitting this kind of CPU wall in your projects it is something you will rarely use.

^^^THIS^^^

I have the CPU wall. I do it all the time.

Back