What is the low down on the AT 4060?

teainthesahara

So, is their a concensus with this mic yet among users (i.e. versatile workhorse, or, particularly good on some things but not others)? Is it a good value, and what others would you be considering in its price range (new and used prices)? Other than having the tube, is there anything else that sets it apart from other mics in the AT 40 range?

teainthesahara said:
So, is their a concensus with this mic yet among users (i.e. versatile workhorse, or, particularly good on some things but not others)? Is it a good value, and what others would you be considering in its price range (new and used prices)? Other than having the tube, is there anything else that sets it apart from other mics in the AT 40 range?

The AT4060 is a well regarded microphone by professionals. It's price sort of puts it outside the usual discussion here.

I think the most meaningful info on the AT 40 series including the AT4060 can be found at http://www.3daudioinc.com on the forums there.

I give them a meh . . . not great not terrible. I received one in trade a while back for studio time and I use it sometimes. Guitar cabs. Often I use it for a talk back mic. Sometimes the talk-back might make it in as a low level room mic. It's kind of wooly and hazy-which can work to an advantage sometimes. I wouldn't buy one though.

I dont know much about the AT4060. I actually hear its better not to spend the money on the tubed version and just go for the AT4050 which i own. But i cant really back that up.

The AT4050 is probably similiar sounding though. It is the most accurate sounding vocal mic i own. Not accurate like small diaphragm earthworks or anything like that. It just sounds like a really natural voice. I actually really like it. It has very little coloration in my opinion, but sometimes i really like that.

Its nice too because it seems to work on any voice i put it on. Its a very full sounding mic, not harsh top end at all in my opinion. Rather whooly just because it doesnt have the sparkly top end. So you could say its maybe a little thicker sounding then other mics?

I like it alot, and its easy to EQ also.

Danny

sweetnubs said:
I give them a meh . . . not great not terrible. I received one in trade a while back for studio time and I use it sometimes. Guitar cabs. Often I use it for a talk back mic. Sometimes the talk-back might make it in as a low level room mic. It's kind of wooly and hazy-which can work to an advantage sometimes. I wouldn't buy one though.

Wooly and hazy? Really? I've only ever heard of this mic being described as clear, focused, with the tube just adding a very subtle effect to it. Are we talking about the same tube mic (AT 4060, and not the AT 3060)? Thanks for the comments...

I dont think its hazy or unfocused. Infact i think it is very focused. But it is more of a wooly sound compared to say a Neumann U87. I dont think its unclear either. it just doesnt have the Top end boosts and sparkly stuff that most vocal mics have. Its very natural or neutral sounding at best.

I can actually post a few samples up of some flat eq'd female vocals. Although the rest of the mix is unfinished it can give you an idea on how it sounds.

Danny

darnold said:
I dont think its hazy or unfocused. Infact i think it is very focused. But it is more of a wooly sound compared to say a Neumann U87. I dont think its unclear either. it just doesnt have the Top end boosts and sparkly stuff that most vocal mics have. Its very natural or neutral sounding at best.

I can actually post a few samples up of some flat eq'd female vocals. Although the rest of the mix is unfinished it can give you an idea on how it sounds.

Danny
Sure, if you have any, post em...

Anyone have any clips with an AT 4060?

just sos yous guys knows this is a trident pre in name only 'cause some half-assed engineer acquired the name. It bears no resemblence to real tridents. Hell not even all trident consoles are good, there's only a few I really like. I've never actually used one (the GC trident) but then again I know better.

shit I posted my last post to the wrong topic. Meant for the trident pre thread. I never said the mic was a peice of shit I just said it was kinda (emphasis on "kind of", i.e. the implication being just a little bit) hazy and wooly. But then again I'm comparing the mic to mics I have like u67's, micro-tech gefell um70's, schoeps, earthworks, original u87's, etc. I still think your better off saving some more cash and getting a better mic.

Back