what is the first knob you usually use when compressing.

alevy

what is the First knob you usually use when compressing.
do you guys set the attcak first? the threshold? ratio?

Ratio. But then I usually go back to it after I've adjusted all the other interactive settings, cut my ratio setting in half (i.e. half the compression I originally decided was appropriate), and then re-adjust all other settings accordingly... and then of course readjust everything two or three more times.

The right answer here is that there is no right answer. Knobs on a compressor are usually highly interactive, and when you change one setting often you end up wanting to tweak another... It also depends on which compressor I'm using... on my most used compressor, the RNC, 99% of the time I reach for the ratio knob first.

and when your adjusting the ratio is everything at zero or is it somewhere from a previous session?

I think attack, then release, is more potent (relevant) -being general here, than ratio. But still, first up is some thought about what/how and why.
Wayne

First, there is no "right" or "wrong" way, IMHO. I think Gem hit it spot on in that whichever you do first, there are probably going to be a few cycles of tweaking each control before you get what you're looking for, regardless of where you start. (Take that, recipie lovers! ;) )

But given that, the methods I am usually most comfortable with myself depend upon my main goal for using the compression:

- if I am mainly looking to control dymanics (e.g. level out the notes of a DI'd bass), I'll start with the threshold, based upon a fairly good estimate of at what level I think the dynamics are starting to get out of control. Start with a close threshold, then tweak the gain and the threshold to get the amount of control I want. Then finally the attack and release to get the "shape" correct.

- OTOH, if I am looking to shape the "sound" of an instrument (e.g. bring out or tone a kick or a snare), I might be tempted to start with the attack and release first, getting the edges of the envelope where I want them first, and then useing the gain and the threshold to bring the levels where I want them.

G.

alevy said:
what is the First knob you usually use when compressing.
do you guys set the attcak first? the threshold? ratio?

I try to avoid touching my knob when compressing. It makes other people in the room uncomfortable. :D

Oh, wait... you mean on the gear.... Usually ratio, followed quickly by attack, then release, then rinse and repeat.

Gain make-up.

Invariably, it hasn't been turned down from the last time I used the compressor so it needs to be turned down before the current operation can commence... hence it's usually the first knob I reach for when I employ a compressor.

Best of luck with all you do.

hey how are you guys doing.i dont know any studios out here in atlanta as of yet. i was wondering how much some one would charge me mix down a few songs (2tracking).

chessrock said:
The one labeled "Power."

I set it to "on."

I think that would qualify as a button or switch of somesort. I wouldn't classify it as a "knob."

eraos said:
I think that would qualify as a button or switch of somesort. I wouldn't classify it as a "knob."
An inability to distinguish the knobs from the button can lead to a somewhat awkward situation when taking one's lady to bed ;)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
An inability to distinguish the knobs from the button can lead to a somewhat awkward situation when taking one's lady to bed ;)

G.

maybe that's why chessrock is always so cranky?

maybe he doesn't know he's embarrassing himself. as an aside, there's nothing funnier than to hear a terrible mix with compression pumping in and out over the entire song.

alevy said:
i was wondering how much some one would charge me mix down a few songs (2tracking).

How long is a piece of string?

Give Jim Z a call at ZAC... I usually mix at the "Stonehenge" room there... [or in Room "11" at Tree Sound].

Either way... there are a bunch of great rooms in Atlanta... so I'm sure you'll have a great time mixing.

Best of luck with it!!!

o kay well i have a budget of about 500 dollars. i have about 6 songs i want done is that possible at one of the studios you mention. do you know there rates?

i checked out the links. those are the sort of studios i dream of. i dont think i'll be able to go there with $500.lol. especially looking at their past clients.

Whenever I want to compress, I have to enter the studio...Thus using the door knob first.

Back