What is the easiest way to add a firewire port?

pacman9000

Here is my computers spec page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4088&query=presario 6027US&dest_page=product#

But more importantly, I opened up my computer and wrote down all the different slots I see, now here's where you folks come in, to make sense of all these slots for me.

shall we begin?

There is 3 big identical white slots (only 1 open), they all have a long section then divider, then short section.

The open white slot is the bottom one and marked "J22 SLOT 3" with the two slots above it marked "J21 SLOT 2" and "J20 SLOT 1" with stuff plugged into them.

BELOW THE OPEN WHITE SLOT AT THE BOTTOM, is an Open Black Slot (just a bit shorter but wider then the white slots) this black slot is one slot no dividers, this open black slot is marked "J30 PCI EXT"

To the right of the bottom black slot is 2 little slots, 1st one is black and labeled "P7 CD 1". The other little slot is white and marked "P11 AUX 1"

Both of these small slots have four metal prongs sticking out.

THESE ARE MUCH MUCH SMALLER THEN THE PCI SLOT(S?)

About 2" above small slots is another small place to plug something in which has 9 metal prongs sticking out and labeled "MULTI BAY" and just above that is the "FRNT USB" connector which is currently installed with the cord running to the front inlet.

WHERE, AND WHICH IS THE THE BEST PLACE TO INSTALL FIREWIRE IEEE 1394 ET AL

I was wondering if I could replace the front usb port with a firewire port, because I have 4 usb ports in the back...some of the presario 6000's had a firewire installed by default in the front where the usb port is located on mine, but there's no hole there to add the firewire so I would have to remove the usb port and replace with firewire is this possible?

where inside computer do I plug in the firewire?

haha, I'm lost in all of this.

very detailed response thanks bingoman.

thanks, I have instructions on that already, is that the only way to get the firewire?

but c'mon man what is the black slot labeled "J30 PCI EXT" it looks different then the white PCI slots with two sections?

what about all that other sh1t...

YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET THIS BULLSH1T, FUKKFJSDJFASDKLFSDFSKLD FJ I'M GOING TO GET HARDWARE RECORDER AND AJGFSDJGF
sdfskasdjfSDOFJGS

Go to Staples and get a firewire PCI card. It will cost you no more than $40 for 3 or 4 ports....a double port (I think they have them) will be even less.

check on newegg and find pci firewire cards, its not as complicated as you are making it seem, it's just another pci card!

thanks everyone, you guys are right I need to relax and just settle on something.

but could someone tell me what that black slot labeled "J30 PCI EXT" is for?

is that a PCI-X slot? aren't they supposed to have less latency?

prolly an agp slot. is it on top of the PCI's?

are you using onboard video ?

jsut a regular ole' pci firewire card will work just fine.

No No No

The AGP Slot Is Above The 3 White Pci Slots And Is Clearly Marked An AGP Slot, It Says "E2 AGP" "J40" And "1.5V AGP CARDS ONLY" It Is A Larger Black Slot With A Long Section, A Divider, Then A Shorter Section, Just Like The White Pci Slots....

Where as the SLOT marked "J30 PCI EXT" has no divider and is slightly taller then the other pci and agp slots.

pacman9000 said:
very detailed response thanks bingoman.

thanks, I have instructions on that already, is that the only way to get the firewire?

but c'mon man what is the black slot labeled "J30 PCI EXT" it looks different then the white PCI slots with two sections?

what about all that other sh1t...

Are you sure it doesn't say PCI EXP? That could be PCI Express (PCIe) which is a new slot architecture that is gradually replacing PCI and has already pretty much replaced AGP for video cards. It's essentially the same signals as PCI except on a serial data bus (one wire carries all the data) instead of a parallel bus (one wire per bit of data, one wire per bit of addressing).

There are also different types of PCIe slot (x1, x2, x4...) which correspond to the number of serial data channels present. The standard allows devices to split the data across multiple channels for higher throughput. The only real rule is that the card must have a size that is no larger than the slot, so an x2 slot can hold an x1 or x2 card, but not an x4 card.

You can get a PCIe (x1) FireWire card, but they're about $80 apiece for something with a decent chipset last I checked. Better to get a standard PCI card if you have a free PCI slot. That said, I have one in my PowerMac G5 Quad and it seems to work reasonably well.

Oh, BTW, the PCIe slot might share space with your AGP slot. ISTR that the AGP standard has the backplate on the opposite side of the card so that it could share a single slot space on the back with a PCI (or, later, PCIe) slot, but I might be remembering wrong.

The three identical white slots are likely standard (parallel) PCI.

Your computer came out before PCI-E (2002) so that definately Not a PCI-E slot.Pluss Your Chipset didn"t support PCI-E....

If it is a Small Slot at that is at the Bottom of the Board and Maybe a different color (Brown) and looks like a Mini PCI slot then it might be a CNR Slot (Comunications & Network Riser)......

Look here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/46/3

StephenEC said:
pacman ,

here's a look at the motherboard in your computer ( according to HP anyway ) lol

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=uk&docname=c00211787#N912

I don't see the slot that You are speaking of ...

Stephen

Hello, thank you for the link, I was trying to find this too what link did you click on on the HP site I only found the basic specs?

In the specs you just linked to it says:

Expansion slots (AGP/PCI/Exten) 1 AGP, 3PCI

^see where it says "Exten"...that seems to be something different then the actual PCI slot, and the slot I'm talking about is marked "J30 PCI EXT" it's black around the frame of it and has skinny metal bars running up and down (vertical).

Maybe it's not a slot at all, it just looks like a slot...:confused:...it sure the hell looks like a slot to me...

pacman9000 said:
ANSWER MY QUESTIONS OR GO FUKKK YOURSELF U DULL FAGGOT

Did you have to pull your head out of your ass to type that, or did you manage it somehow with the old head rammed right up there?

Back