What is the difference between the sm 87a beta and the 87a?

jwkim

the beta can be bought for 30 dollars more than the 87a (the black one). I heard that the difference is subtle and that the beta is a little brighter? What exactly is the 30 dollar difference?

This seems to be the only written difference on shures website. The Beta boast the low end roll off and presence rise of the upper midrange.
I thought that all of shure produces have this so I don't know what the big deal is?

So when it comes right down to it I figure that the only difference is the color. with the beta being a wee bit better especially with use on the live stage.

"The Beta 87A features a controlled low-frequency roll-off that compensates for proximity effect and prevents the “boomy” sound often associated with close pick-up. The characteristic Shure presence rise brightens the upper midrange. The tight supercardioid pattern, with null points at approximately 125 degrees, provides maximum isolation from other vocalists or instruments while offering minimal off-axis coloration."

Also the beta series use neodymium magnets, which are more powerful per unit of mass than the magnets that they use in the other series. Thus, you should either find that a beta mic either has hotter output or weighs less or both.

Back