what is the difference between a (software) sampler and a (software) vocoder?

manmustwack

From my research i know that with a sampler i can assign a drumbeat to my piano and play it on different keys or that with a hardware sampler i can sample a small part of a record chop it up and assign it to my keyboard and play it. But can't i sample my voice with a hardware sampler or even a software sampler? If i really want to do a project with all those realistic acoustic sounds like in Maria Carey's songs I can't give or Hero do i need really need a sampler? Can't a good keyboard produce thise sounds?

I ask because in the near future i will be doing some projects where i will need a vocoder to change the sound of my voice and play on my keyboard and a sampler to sample drumbeats and sounds.

Your knowledge and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

a sampler records an audio signal so you can play it back (a voice, a drum beat, a pig squeal)

a vocoder transforms an audio signal (like your voice) into sounding like a robot or Peter Frampton "feeling like he does"

Great so to record a few sentences I will need a vocoder. Is there any real difference between a hardware vocoder and a software vocoder because am wondering which one to buy?

Great so to record a few sentences I will need a vocoder. Is there any real difference between a hardware vocoder and a software vocoder because am wondering which one to buy?

no... my post was pretty short - to record a few sentences would require a recording device (such as a sampler) a vocoder does not record...

The Frampton effect is a talk box, which routes the speaker signal through a tube and into your mouth for processing. Other notable users of the talk box are Joe Walsh on Rocky Mountain Way, and David Gilmour on Pigs from the Animals album. Also featured on Steely Dan's Haitian Divorce.

Talk box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing at all like a vocoder. Probably the most widely-heard example of the vocorder is ELO's Mr Blue Sky.

Vocoder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh yeah - talk box - well a vocoder also is a processor like a talk box - it doesn't record - it processes like an effect. I never heard Mr. Blue Sky but I checked out the video and don't hear a vocoder - they used it in mr. roboto right?

Back