what is the cheapest wat to get S/PDIF

rdozz

out of my computer/Cubase to send to the good converters on my AW4416. I am currently using a m-audio delta 1010lt. I could sell the 1010lt and get something that just supplies S/PDIF. It may not be worth the trouble?

1010lt converters I feel are not very good compared to the Yamaha AW4416 converters which I can hear a lot of detail without the harshness. So I monitor my "in-the-box" mixes using the AW4416 converters.

side note; I have a Blue kiwi which has amazing detail in the high end. I found I could hear the detail through the AW4416 but, through the 1010lt the high end was a blur the detail was gone. This was an opening experience, before I had fallen for the hype a converter is just a converter so why pay more. I think someone on this board or another board said "buy cheap, buy twice" so true on most things.

Rob

I have tried spdif via a soundblaster and was disappointed. *There* was real jitter.

The emu 0404 is an inexpensive little card that will give you SPD/IF in/out.
I have used optical in/out on emu cards and was satisfied with the results.

fraserhutch said:
I have tried spdif via a soundblaster and was disappointed. *There* was real jitter.

The emu 0404 is an inexpensive little card that will give you SPD/IF in/out.
I have used optical in/out on emu cards and was satisfied with the results.

That's good news 'cause I just bought an EMU 1212m that I will be puting in the new 'puter I'm building and using the SPDIF via a Kurzweil Rumor.

Echo Mia. $100-150 or so new.

Great S/PDIF support. I used to run a Johnson J-Station into the spdif on my previous DAW with an Echo Mia card and the sound quality was spectacular.

Back