What is the best way to charge?

Ah, yes, an oft asked question here at HR.

Idk. IMO as a home/project studio I think it's best left to depend on the project.
If it's a album charge by the track, if it's recording one song or someones vocals or something charge by the hour, etc.

Again, that's just how I would do it though.

Yeah, that's a good idea, varying it based on the project. I have a band coming over next weekend, and I was curious what I should do in terms of a 3 song demo

Never cut yourself short.

Word to the peeps.

Of course, if you sell yourself at bottom-of-the-barrel rates, you'll certainly get plenty of bottom-of-the-barrel work...

It's certainly refreshing to hear that from experienced guys like you two :).

At what point do you think a n00b should start charging- straight from the start or after some pro bono work?
Any advice on how to come up with appropriate rates?

That's a Sweetie, get one for me while you're at it.
Here's mine for reelz (just got it last November):

6267348941_c2492f060c_z.jpg

You should charge by the hour. If you tell the band that you will charge them X amount of dollars to record their song or project and then end up pouring more hours than you thought you would (happens all the time) it could end up costing you time and money. If you you charge them hourly its on the band to have their chops together and get their parts recorded. You will always win when charging hourly because you will get paid exactly what you put into it.

Back