What is the best method for recording guitar tuition vids?

constantthought

Hi all, I am just about to start up a tuition site for guitar :guitar: and I am struggling to get my head around how I am going to go about recording it all effectively.

I will be using a Microsoft LifeCam Studio Full HD 1080p for the video recording but I don't know if I will be able to get a decent enough sound using just the inbuilt mic. I was thinking about going directly in with my guitar so I would be playing through a Line 6 POD 2.0 straight into my computer for a crisper sound but the problem there is that I will be using my only mic port. Don't worry, it gets even more confusing haha :P
I ALSO need to be able to play along to backing tracks which I will have recorded previously so at one moment in time I will have 3 things going on at once and I cannot begin to contemplate how I can turn those 3 things into one audio in sync with my video. I don't even know how to explain this so none of this will really make sense haha.

Any guitarists out there who have done this before and know of a quick and easy method because i am SURE i am overcomplicating things here!

Euugh.. my brain is crumbling away like wet cake
Most confusing... :confused:

You need to use a DAW. Put the backing tracks into it. Record to the DAW using your POD as the interface. Run the video recorder while you're doing.
After you are done recording the audio, you will need to mix down the track you just recorded with the backing tracks. You can also add an instructional track, when needed my putting yuor voice-over on another track in the DAW prior to mixing down.
Once you've got the audio the way you want it, start your video editing software and add the audio the audio track. Synching it up will be the tricky part - starting your recording with a clapper or something similar is the best way - you want something short with both visual and audio cue. Once you have it synched up, you can cut out the clapper part, etc.

You need to use a DAW. Put the backing tracks into it. Record to the DAW using your POD as the interface. Run the video recorder while you're doing.
After you are done recording the audio, you will need to mix down the track you just recorded with the backing tracks. You can also add an instructional track, when needed my putting yuor voice-over on another track in the DAW prior to mixing down.
Once you've got the audio the way you want it, start your video editing software and add the audio the audio track. Synching it up will be the tricky part - starting your recording with a clapper or something similar is the best way - you want something short with both visual and audio cue. Once you have it synched up, you can cut out the clapper part, etc.

Wow thanks, alot of good info there. You have just saved my few remaining brain cells haha. I will look into getting a DAW (a cheap+decent one hopefully) and try out what you suggested next week when I get the ball rolling.

Take it ez

Back