What is the advantage of hard disc?

MannaZen

Here is my situation now. I am currently recording on my PC w/ a detla 44 sound card. I have a 1.1 AMD 256mg ram and a 40 gig.

Ive come to the conclusion that I need more tracks! I could either buy a larger sound card, or a hard disc and just use my computer for editing/mixing.

Is there an advantage to the recording on hard disc then dumping the tracks into the PC for editing/mixing? Only thing I could think of is the Harddisc will be quieter. Also it would probably cost alot more money to get my computer equipped for that many tracks.

Ive been looking at the Mackie SDR 24/96 or the Fostex 2424L. Both seem to do the same thing.

Any advice is appreciated!

Steve

Sounds like you want the Hard disk recorder just for the converters? Or is it that the pc can't handle enough tracks to mix on it? 'Cause if you dump them back in the pc to mix do you still need to upgrade the pc?
As for noise, ask around some. The one HDR I tried was alot louder than my DAW.
Wayne

I'm confused, you ARE recording and mixing on harddisk now.

There is no real advantage to having a standalone DAW if that's what you're talking about. In fact the cheaper ones sound a hell of a lot worse than the average computer.

It's all harddisk though...

It seems that you are faced with the same thing that I was at the end of last year. I had been doing the basic PC Recording thing for about six months and had just built a bigger PC and started pricing sound cards, ect., to get into true multitracking. I also wanted portability because, eventually, I wanted to get into doing Remote and Live Remote Recording.

It started looking like the PC route was going to be an ever increasing suck on the wallet. So, I started looking at Portable Stand Alone DAWs. I ended up buying the Fostex VF160CDR DAW and couldn't be happier. I Track on the Fostex and transfer the Tracks to the PC for Mixing and Editing.

I chose the Fostex VF160 because of it's expadability and ease of use with the PC.

You are looking at nice 24 Track/24 Bit DAWs and they cost quite a bit more than the 832 Bux that I paid for the VF160 on eBay, new, including shipping and a nice Gig Bag for it. One M-Audio Delta 1010 is 600 Bux. One ST Audio C-Port is 400 to 450 Bux.

CR ><>

I've got a Mackie MDR24/96 that I use for tracking. I can get 24 tracks simultaneously, and with the internal and external drive bays I can have the capacity to record 4 hours @ 24 bit/48 kHz. When I need to, I can pull the external drive bay out and pop it into an external firewire bay that connects to my PC and I have instant access to all the tracks for use with my DAW software if I want to. In my opinion, the standalone recorders are more reliable beasts for tracking large numbers of tracks than a PC, but the PC is great for editing and OK for mixing.

Darryl.....

Back