What is that effect?

dainbramage

I'm using a EH Memory Man Hazarai in the multitap 1 sec mode with the current settings:

- About 1/4 blend
- Slightly falling successive repeats volume
- In between high- and lowpass filter
- Approximately 10-15 repeats
- 0,6ms delay time (which is minimum)

I kind of like this sound and so when I play distorted rock the tendency is to leave it on. My problem is I can't use any of other features while doing this.

So.. My question is: What kind of sound/effect is this? Sounds kind of phasy but without the rising and falling filtery sound.I am looking for a pedal/effect box that does the same thing in order to make other features on the pedal available.

Sample (first bypassed, then on, etc)

:confused:

It's a short delay with repeats, as you indicate. I listened before I read your description and came to that same conclusion. Any delay pedal that can do 0.6ms and repeats should do the trick, but I don't know how many can go that low. The Boss DD-7 goes down to 1ms and the DD-3 only goes to 12.5ms. The DOD DL-8 apparently goes down to 0.5ms.

Thank you.

The reason I was wondering was because the EH MMH is said to have options that doesn't seem intuitive and that are not mentioned in the manual. Different functions for knobs in different modes etc. I had already tried this with my DD-3, no luck, apparently not rapid enough delays then.

The 12.5ms of delay available in the DD-3 is on the order of a "slapback". It's just long enough for your brain to hear as a distinct echo. The effect you were trying to get is so short that instead of hearing the delay as a separate arrival of the same sound you are hearing the phase interaction between the direct and delayed signals, something that starts to happen somewhere below 10ms.

I see. Since this is a stereo device, do you think the effect would be enhanced by some sort of panning or would it stay the same? I'm asking because I don't have a stereo input to test it with.

I think the effect you are going for would only work if the dry and delayed signals are mixed. You could pan them together as a unit but not away from each other.

As stated above it is more the phase that you are hearing as opposed to a delay. You can get something very similar using a chorus maybe a flanger by turning the rate almost to 0 and playing with the depth knob. I had an old boss bf-2 (I think) Flanger that did something very close to this if you backed off the rate and had the depth set right.

Back