What is Reaper and How does it work?

Rosenthal74

Ok... this is probably the epitome of newbie questions and perhaps it should go in the newbie thread, but it made more sense to me to put it here. Exactly (other than recording software) is Reaper, and how does it work? What kind of hardware would I need to purchase if I were to use Reaper and can (and how could) it be used in conjunction with my Tascam DP-02 portastudio? Would I simply transfer from the DP-02 to Reaper via a usb cable? Does it recognize the multiple tracks from the DP-02? And can I transfer the finished work back to the DP-02 to burn the cd? And..... should I duck all the objects you are all about to throw at me for asking a bunch of dumb questions?

Download it (and the manual) and try it yourself.

The 'demo' only has a 15second nag screen and is otherwise fully functional.

Of course it will work with all standard equipment (only ProTools is fussy 'cause it uses hardware as copy-protection dongles.)

.....you'll learn more by playing with it yourself than listening to us rave about it....

Ok... this is probably the epitome of newbie questions and perhaps it should go in the newbie thread, but it made more sense to me to put it here. Exactly (other than recording software) is Reaper, and how does it work?
It works like all of the other DAW software out there with a few exceptions:
* It's lean (5MB download!)
* It can run from a USB stick
* It's completely customizable
* It's extremely efficient with multi-core processors
* It's affordable! ($60 for a discounted license, $225 if you make more than $20k/year with it)
* Free updates through two versions
* Mac + PC (also works extremely well using WINE in Linux)
* Updated on a nearly weekly basis with a dev team that actually listens and responds to it's users. I've seen updates posted in less than a half hour after a bug was reported. How's that for service? :D
* The forum is FULL helpful people who won't tell you to RTFM, many of them are professional engineers
* It's just...AWESOME.

What kind of hardware would I need to purchase if I were to use Reaper and can (and how could) it be used in conjunction with my Tascam DP-02 portastudio? Would I simply transfer from the DP-02 to Reaper via a usb cable? Does it recognize the multiple tracks from the DP-02?

Well, if you like recording on your DP-02, then all you really need is a computer. You can transfer the wav files from your TASCAM to your computer via USB cable, import them into REAPER, and edit/mix/master it :)

If you want to record on a Windows system, you'll most likely want an ASIO device. Most (if not all) audio interfaces out there support ASIO. I believe the standard is CoreAudio on the Mac (but I'm not positive..) Either way most audio interfaces will work on both systems.

And can I transfer the finished work back to the DP-02 to burn the cd?

I don't have the DP-02 but, from what the website says, you should be able to transfer files back to your TASCAM. Just make sure you render it in the right format. (My guess is 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV)

And..... should I duck all the objects you are all about to throw at me for asking a bunch of dumb questions?

:D

Back