What is pressing a c.d.?

when we copy a cd on our computers we use a process called "burning" which im sure your already aware of, when large manufacturers make cds they "press" them as its alot faster when theyre doing thousands. I dont know 100% how it works, but there ya go :P

Tifstorey said:
when we copy a cd on our computers we use a process called "burning" which im sure your already aware of, when large manufacturers make cds they "press" them as its alot faster when theyre doing thousands. I dont know 100% how it works, but there ya go :P

Instead of the "pits" being burned into an ink substrate, they are pressed into a very thin layer of aluminum - like commercial cd's - much more durable - more professional looking.

It's a leftover term from the days of vinyl when records were literally pressed between two discs that molded the grooves into each side. Large quantities of CDs are encoded using vapor deposition techniques.

I would imagine it's in those links, but the short story is that the pits are in the plastic substrate and the aluminum is a simple reflector.

So what we're left with is a round, spinning molded plastic disc with a hole in the center...

Sounds familiar? :eek:

Back