What is pre-recording?

asterix12

What is a audio pre-record do? I have that in my daw, I can do a 1 min in pre record, but I don't know why I would do that? Thanks.

It's probably recording armed tracks -- Imagine having a punch point that doesn't sound quite right. If it's recording audio before that point, you can crossfade that data instead of having a hard start at the punch marker.

Or, if your punch in is a little late, you can expose the audio that happened before the punch in. and save the take. It's awesome.

I also use it to catch belches and funny things people say to make a blooper reel. If someone says something funny around a Mic, just hit record after they said it and roll back the audio. You have now captured the moments before you hit record.

Or, if your punch in is a little late, you can expose the audio that happened before the punch in. and save the take. It's awesome.

I also use it to catch belches and funny things people say to make a blooper reel. If someone says something funny around a Mic, just hit record after they said it and roll back the audio. You have now captured the moments before you hit record.
So it is kind of like a live buffer that gets flushed every 60 secs (in the OPs case).

You sure about that? That's saying that any armed track is constantly recording whether you've assigned it to do so or not. I've only known "pre-record" to work for automated punch-in scenarios.

Damn, So I can record the past?

Why is this not common knowledge? :cursing:

What is a audio pre-record do? I have that in my daw, I can do a 1 min in pre record, but I don't know why I would do that? Thanks.

It means that the recorder is recording all the time into a buffer memory - 60 seconds on your unit, but more commonly about 10 seconds on a portable recorder.

As the memory fills the earlier stuff is erased.

When you go into record proper, the buffer memory starts emptying into the main record drive while you are recording.

This means that the recording actually starts before you pressed "record" and is great to make sure you never miss the first word or first notes of a recording.

I use it all the time.

Remember though, when you press "stop" that the remaining buffer memory will continue to empty by the number of seconds that the memory is set to.

I hope this helps.

Wow, this is awesome news. Thanks for the heads up!

This feature is on select DAWs since this thread is in a general category. I am 99% sure Ableton doesn't do this (researching just in case). It handles this by recording before the punch in, but only showing the punch in/out in the arrangement (non-destructive editing). Probably many others have this feature as well.

I thought the pre record function only worked if the track was playing. Don't think it would work if there is no movement in time frame? I may be wrong

I thought the pre record function only worked if the track was playing. Don't think it would work if there is no movement in time frame? I may be wrong
No, it is going all the time, no matter what. Try it. It may work differently in other programs.

No, it is going all the time, no matter what. Try it. It may work differently in other programs.

Well, pre-record can't happen if you don't start the playback from DAW before the punch in point. Not sure how that would ever happen anyway...

Oops, quoted the wrong post. Still relevant I suppose. :)

It constantly records any channel that is armed to record. even at the start if the timeline. it records it into the buffer. when you actually record something, you can pull the object to the left and reveal theprerecorded material.

Of course, I've only done this in cubase/Nuendo. Your daw may not behave this way, but it would be pointless if it didn't work that way. That's why it's called "pre-record". It records before you hit record. Try it.

Back