what is it called?

muskgrave

I have been trying to find out the name of a particular effect for a couple years now but have not been successful yet...i can only give examples of where it is used...
1) in Siamese Dream on Silverf***, when billy says.."bang bang youre dead....hole in your head.."

2) I believe it's in poltergeist when the girl is talking through the television..

it's sort of a like a buildup to the actual spoken word or whatnot..kind of like the echo you might hear afterwards in an ambient room but instead you hear it before...obviously added after the track has been recorded..anyone know what I'm talking about and what it is called?

thanks
dlv

It's called "reverse reverb" and is made by reversing whatever you want it on and slappin a reverb on it and then reversing it back.

At least, that seems to be what you are talking about.

yes, I can only describe how this effect is achieved on an analogue system. There was a good description of exactly how it is a achieved in a book I read this week but i am trying to find the reference.

Note that this is not technically an effect but rather it is a technique. When I find out how I'll post it here.

Ah here it is. You can adapt this techique for a computer based setup too.

' Record the original tape onto the multitrack tape and then turn the tape over so that the track plays backwards...

With the recording now running backwards the track to be treated is fed through a convential stereo reverb unit set to a medium-to-long decay setting (from two to ten seconds) and the reverb recording onto an empty track (or pair of empty tracks if you can afford keeping it in stereo).

Once the reverb has been record the tape can be switched back round the right way and played normally. Now the reverb will start to build up a couple of seconds before the track starts and produce an unnatural pre-echo effect. '

paraphrased from 'Basic Mixing techniques', by Paul White.

Back