What is an "Opamp"

Jerry W

What is an opamp. What does it do. Is it a good thing or bad thing. Is it short for something and if so, what?

Also, while I am on the subject. What does a transformer in a preamp do and why would a transformerless design be better or worse. Also, are there different types of transformers and if so, what are they. Also, at what stage of the preamp would you find a transformer and what is it that they transform - voltage, wattage, what...

op amp

op amp = operational amplifier
uses - electronic circuits like mic preamps, level detectors and 1001 other uses.
going out to supper so i got to make this brief.
go to analog.com or ti.com and learn all about op amps.
good ones for building mic preamps.

AD797 for example or LM 833 or op27.
an op amp is basically just a collection of "mini" circuits composed
of transistors and/or jfets on silicon strata microetched.
transformer , often used in mic preamps and many other
uses. 1001 uses. some people like the iron in them for the sound.

You wanto to point us to a link where you heard the word "Opamp".

Sure it wasn't "preamp"......or in some sick and twisted way that no one actually talks, it coupld possiblely.....and take this with a grain of salt.......be short for Optical.

Many of the the mic preamps include op-amps. mostly just a series of transisters formed in a push pull configuration to make them give an exceptional ammount of gain.

While todays op-amps are found mostly on a IC chip,op-amp circuts used to contain analog componants such as transisters and tubes...so tecnically it is the name of a push pull type circut.

Jerry W said:
What is an opamp. What does it do. Is it a good thing or bad thing. Is it short for something and if so, what?

Also, while I am on the subject. What does a transformer in a preamp do and why would a transformerless design be better or worse. Also, are there different types of transformers and if so, what are they. Also, at what stage of the preamp would you find a transformer and what is it that they transform - voltage, wattage, what...

To be totally technical and really anal..............

The "Operational Amplifier" is so named because in the earlier computer circuits, the Op-amp could perform mathmatical operations. Op-amps are used for adding, subtracting and calculus operations. They are also great at doing linear functions like pre-amps.

Wow... this is kinda like watching monkeys try to fuck a bowling ball... yes, an LA-2A is an electro-optical compressor [or in Manley speak; an "El-Op"... but that doesn't have jack shit to do with an 'op-amp'

An "op-amp" is the basic building block of a microphone amplifier... no voodoo involved, nor is anything 'optical' in attendance. Essentially 3 elements involved that will determine the amount [and quality] of the gain will be defined [through the use of positive and/or negative feedback... which is a discussion for another day].

There are many different types of 'op-amps', which result in many different tones and textures from various pre-amps. There are "class A" discrete op-amps like the Neve B 283 [and B 284] boards, there were also tube 'op-amps'... you can find them in many of the current mic pre's that employ 12AX7 or 12AT7 tubes.

There are more classic plug-in "class A" plug in building block modules like the API 2520 and the Jensen 990 [and it's various incarnations], there are also "class A/B" op-amps like the Neve BA-440. These all use 'discrete components' [individual transistors, etc.]

There are a whole bunch of op-amps you'll find in 'integrated circuits' [a.k.a. "IC chips"]. These typically don't have the headroom of the discrete "op-amps", but are far less expensive to integrate in a design. There are very "fast" ones like the ones used in the Grace stuff... and slower ones like the 5534 used in everything from Soundcraft desks to SSL's or the TLO 72's used in Trident consoles.

Transformers are employed to match impedance and isolate the circuit from grounding issues. While they are not necessary, they often provide a subtle phase shift and musical anomolies that we find pleasing.

As there are a myriad of different 'op-amp' designs, there are a myriad of transformer designs... these will result in the different tones and textures that define the sound of a unit.

I realize that this is an extremely basic overview... but I hope it is of some assistance.

Peace.

Fletcher said:
Wow... this is kinda like watching monkeys try to fuck a bowling ball...
I do not wanna know how you are able to make that comment. But I think thay banned the film in 59 states :)

Fletcher said:

An "op-amp" is the basic building block .........

.........I realize that this is an extremely basic overview... but I hope it is of some assistance.

Peace.

For as basic as that information is, its still way too much for some folks. I recently started reading a book on opamp design and had to put it away till the weather gets worse. Rather remarkable technology for its simplicity. When you see the number of devices just within the audio community that rely on opamps your mind just boggles. The number of choices are so huge that if you don't have any idea whatsoever of what you need, you will never get there. I was reading the book because my boss wanted me to so some research. Im not equipped for building mono-blocks at my desk.

Good post Fletcher, simple yet scary... which describes IC design altogether.

SoMm

A high-gain amplifier with a large amount of negative feedback. It's one way of making a low level signal higher.

Fletcher said:
Wow... this is kinda like watching monkeys try to fuck a bowling ball...
And it helps to use KY jelly. I used to use the finger holes. Then I signed up for the penis enhancement program and I can use the thumb hole now.

Back