What is an acceptable processor speed? What is dual core and quad etc.

clntgn

Alright, so my old powermac g4 I think is finally starting to kick the bucket (monitor reads "MONITOR IN POWERSAVE MODE ACTIVATE USING PC" whenever I try to turn on the computer. its not the monitor as far as I know, because my keyboard and other usb devices don't turn on, so I assume the computer is stuck somewhere in the process of turning on.)

Regardless of whether or not I can get those problems fixed, I still have been itching to get a new computer. Probably a powermac g5. Now, I only have a seasonal job, and it just pays minimum wage, but I'm hoping if I save my pennies up I can afford a decent computer (I will have roughly $1000 give or take some if I did my math right, which I probably didn't, but its close I guess.) A quick note: I DON'T WANT TO BLOW ALL MY MONEY ON A COMPUTER. I know I need the computer, but I still have other things that I need to buy right now, and can't afford to be at where I was before I got the job ($30 in my bank account).

So, all of that being said, let me get down to what I really want to know. I'd like to run possibly Digital performer 5 or something higher if I ever can afford it. DP5 ran ok on my computer, but I had a pretty crummy processor speed. I don't run too many virtual instruments, but I like to use reason with my projects. I need something that isn't going to frequently crash on me. I don't have a big band to record, just me, so I do a lot of multi-tracking and single miking, maybe double at the most. Nothing huge normally, but I do like to do a lot of aux tracks. I go light on effects as well, normally just compression, eq, and maybe a noise filter.

What is a good speed for that? What is something that's not going to fail me for a little while? And what about dual and quad core and things like that? What do those mean and how will they factor in to my projects?

Acceptable processor speeds

hey bud

Answering your last question first:
as you may know the "cores" are the brains of the beast (computer) so say you have a 2003 G4 (just a guess) its more than likely running either 1 or 2 of the 1.25 Ghz processors. The dual and quad refer to how many actual cores are in the computer so i.e. dual (2 cores) quad (4 cores)

moving on to the main issue of a new computer.
if we start from the assumption that your running a 2003 G4 (again forgive me if I'm wrong)
you end up with these kind of specs
G4:
2 x 1.25Ghz processor
1 Gig of ram
cd drive and all the rest.

for my mind, and taking into account your price limitation (something we all have to face sadly) I would be leaning towards the mac mini.
Now I know there will be some dissent amongst the crowd on this but my reasoning is thus:
its mac, and I list this only because you have been running a mac system up until now. It also has one of the better bang/buck ratios in this price range.
for $700 you get
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
(yes copied right off the apple site lol)

Now if we jump over to the window based side of things
the options do branch out a whole lot
you have a whole bunch of 15" laptops with around the dual core 2Ghz speeds for less than $1000 (normally around 500-700)
and in desktops more options again (so many i am not going to try to list)
the problem here being that I'm not sure if Digital performer 5 runs on windows (just my own ignorance of the Daw)

Regarding what you may want/need in terms of processing power
I'm running a dual core 2.3Ghz system. and can run up to about 10 different plugins on 4 or 5 separate tracks (so 40 or 50 plugins all up) without any issue of cpu limits... and could probably push for more, thats just the most i've used to date.

anyway hope it was some help man, let me know if theres anything else I/we can do :)

peace

Leroy

Well, I think the year is roughly 04 on the mac I own right now, and the cpu reads as 533mhz on the about this system page. It was advertised as a dual, but who knows. I bought it on ebay for $60 so its not much to look at. It has roughly 1.25 gigs of ram... I think. Don't quote me on that. Its maxed out though.

I kind of figured that's what it was, but I kept on reading things advertised as dual, but then they'd say single processor, so I got confused.

DP5 is unfortunately still mac only. The only reason I don't use something else is because that's the DAW I learned on and I'm so comfortable with it. I don't use my mac for anything but recording, and then everything else I do on a dell laptop.

The mac mini looks nice, but possibly just out of my price range. I don't think that after this job finishes I'll be able to spend more than about $300-400 tops. I am in the process of getting into the air force and will be making quite a bit more per month than that. The problem is, I don't know when that will be happening (tough getting a spot right now). The other problem is I don't know how long I can go without recording something. So, I will definitely keep this in mind as it seems like something that fits about where I'm going with right now. Maybe I can find a used one on ebay or amazon. I know, be wary of buying used, but I haven't had too many problems in my past purchases.

If money is a problem, why are you looking at Macs?? You can get a comparable PC for much less. If Digital Performer only runs on a mac, then maybe you can search for another VSTi. I'm not familiar with DP, so I can't offer a suggestion, but maybe someone else can.

good luck!!

G4's and signature lines :P

@Moresounds
Haha cheers man... only just signed up today, been browsing the site for months, felt I should finally enter into the (bloody informative) fray.

@clntgn
yeah I absolutely am with you on sticking with a familiar DAW
up until 12 months ago, I had been using Adobe Audition on windows, it definatly has its limitations but i knew my way around it handily and loved it...
the only thing that prompted my change was my own foolish lack of research when buying my new PC (turns out Audition is the only Adobe software NOT available on MAC :confused: )

As for the mac mini and others, yeah I felt its pricetag was a far chunk of the funds you mentioned... (and i swear I'm not just an apple fanboi) but I would support looking for a 2nd hand mini on ebay or such, of course take due care with checking its a legit purchase but it means you dont have to change DAW's or anything else really.

In the $500< range, there are definitely things that would suit. But be VERY selective on what you go for.
I'm positive you could pick up a DELL workbox for the money with all the specs on paper, but I'm pretty sure it would disappoint in its performance.
(here I probably am showing a bias, but come on... its DELL :D )

*edit* just re-read your post about your dell laptop, truly didn't mean any offense man)

If in the end you do go for a windows pc, there was a cool thread in the newbie section on different DAWs people used, had a whole list, most of which I hadn't heard of before (showing my ignorance if nothing else)

anywho best of luck with the Airforce man, and for what its worth, get the G4 looked at and hope that it can be propped up for a little longer, at least to give you time to save up for something you can really sink your teeth into, Hardware and processor wise.

peace

Last edited:
Probably being trolled

hey FunkDaddy
Re: the mac price issue, yeah i can't (and wont) argue with you there, they're quite pricey.

But, and I can only speak for myself here, regarding the idea's of macs in general I prefer working on them for a couple of reasons, primarily because the OSX kernal, based on linux, is quite a bit more efficient with system resources than Windows Xp, Vista, or 7. this becomes of chief import when you have a large number of tracks all with their own effects chains, throw in a virtual instrument or 2 (if you don't bounce them to audio) and your going to be scrambling around for more ram and cpu speed on just about anything.

also, with the GCD (grand central dispatch) that they threw in with snow leopard the thread assigning is vastly more efficient than OSX prior to SL or to any of the windows iterations. threading being the assignment of processor "threads" (oddly enough lol) to spare Cpu time on any of the cores the PC has. Each thread in say a DAW application would be things like:
Plugins (a thread for each)
Any GUI's you have up (again a thread for each, separate to the one for the processing of the audio part of a plugin if it is a plugins GUI)
these things mount up quick.
add to this the threads for all the behind the scenes running of the OS in general and you are numbering hundreds (sometimes thousands but rarely) of threads.

another reasoning I have is system stability.
Now granted we can get fine system stability on windows box's, but with the myriad of hardware options possible, this will generally take a bit of tinkering, and then there's always that ONE combo of hardware/software that creates instability not forseen by programmers.
The ability of windows to run on just about anything is a testament to the work that has gone into it, and I don't belittle that one iota.

But when you consider that Apple have a pretty minimal list of configurations for each model of pc they release (arguably a bit of a lazy stance),
the number of given variables in hardware that a programmer has to take into account when working on code for a OSX release, is reduced by orders of magnitude. this generally has an end result of less "unforseen" circumstances for system instability.

jesus... this turned into quite an epic rant of questionable usefulness
anywho I'm not entirely sure if you were actually asking for input or just beating a tired, beleaguered and biased warhorse.

For the record, I have a large amount of disgust and ill humour for Apples business principles and practices. but I hate to admit they make some very fine gear.

I've used both Mac and PC and don't see any of the performance issues/improvements that you do.

If it works for you, awesome, I shouldn't be so dismissive I'm sorry. You kind of caught me in the middle of a Mac vs PC argument with friends lol It just bugs me when people assume Mac/Pro Tools/etc are a must for recording. PC does everything Mac does for a better price. I had an argument with a friend once when she made the claim that "Macs are better suited to creative people" :rolleyes: She's a makeup artist. I on the other hand do intensive graphics work, photo editing and multi-track recording all on PC.

We used Macs in college when I took graphic design and even the professors made the same claim "Macs are a must for graphics work" Uhm...no.

Again, whatever works for you brother!

I'm about 2 weeks from getting a new -IDK maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) used laptop and have to make a final choice soon, more than likely leaning more towards positively it will be a PC but now I'm stuck on brand/how big etc.
If any of you were to go out and get a new PC lappy for recording using reaper, what would you go for and why?

:cool:

@Funkdaddy
haha yeah I'm sorry too man, I got into that pretty quick.
And actually its one thing I cant stand is that assumption that macs are the "Creative persons must" for PC's, its got that air of smug superiority about it that twists the short and curly's.... especially when you look at the laptops that Alien-ware are pumping out.

And actually speaking of Alien-ware, @moresound:
If i was going to buy any new laptop on the windows side I'd totally go for one of the Alien-ware models.
cheaper than their equivalent screen size mac's, and with a whole bunch more grunt. they do a line of 11" 15" and 17" "Gaming laptops", dual and quad core's, heaps of ram, 7200rpm hard drives... all lovely things for digital recording as well. the only thing you might not need is the bad ass GFX cards they chuck in... but if your vid editing or anything like that, then sweet as well!

Though this is assuming that price is a secondary concern. Because they are what you might consider "boutique" laptops. the 11" is about $1300 and the 15 is closer to $2000.

I'm moving interstate in 2 weeks so I've had to be a good boy on the gear buying front of late :( but a new desktop pc and some new mics are looking pretty tasty!

The strange thing is, I'm actually pretty anti-mac for everything but recording.

I think its mostly a comfort thing really. I grew up using PCs and love them to death, but I enjoy using them for everything but recording. I started using macs to record while I was working on my AA and I know that most DAWs have fairly similar interfaces, and that there are a few softsynths here and there that I'd like to use on my mac that are pc only, I've just gotten really accustomed to it. Not to mention I have quite a few half finished projects on that mac that I'd like to restart or rework etc. I guess its all an associative thing to me.

I tried Reaper on my mac, but since I don't really have the appropriate specs for it, it ran pretty badly and I didn't enjoy the interface that much. That's not to say I don't have troubles with DP's interface, but it just seemed so vastly different than what I was used to. I know I need to be more flexible with that, and not to mention its free ($60 after you decide you like it etc etc), but its hard getting out of that comfort zone.

I may try the PC route, but at the same time, like I said, if I got a new PC I would want to use it for my other stuff since this laptop is getting pretty worn. Once again, I guess cash is something that I really need to just save till I can get a completely awesome recording computer. This is something I'd like to at least go with somewhere at some point in my life.

I don't really get tied down in the Mac/PC thing. I'm a PC guy, but I'm not opposed to using a mac. I've actually thought about buying one on many occasions.

I say if you're used to a Mac and DP, then stick with it.

As far as what you need...I say any dual core processor (G5 or Core 2 Duo) with at least 2 GB RAM and you'll be fine. In fact this is quoted from the MOTU website for DP5 system requirements............

We recommend:

•G4 dual 1 GHz or faster, or any Intel Mac (DP 5.1 or later required for Intel Mac support); dual processor/dual core systems are also recommended
•1 GB RAM or more
•17" (or larger) monitor is highly recommended

A Mac Mini would be a good choice for you. I see some on ebay with Buy It Now price around $400. You could probably pick one up cheaper with an auction.

Or something like this PowerMac G5 2.0 Ghz w/ 2 GB RAM for $275.

Money's tight for you. Most of us can understand that...I know I can. Get yourself something that will work and not break the bank at the same time.

That's my 2 cents. :D

I agree, going the used route can save you quite a bit of money, especially of you get an older generation mac. g5 mac pro's are getting cheaper by the day it seems like. I personally went PC due mostly to a lack of funding. I nabbed an old single core pc from a dumpster, loaded up the newest Ubuntu(linux) and haven't had any problems at all so far. doesn't get much better than free, expecially since it's got twice the power of the lappy i was trying to use before.

Back