What is an acceptable price to charge someone for recording?

pM of impk21.co

I didnt know exactly where to post this Question. SO my bad if I chose incorrectly.

As I gather more gear and get more experience, I am kinda getting to a point to where I may start billing my studio time to certain users. This is not a pro studio by any means. But I have a desent mic, a Rode NTK, stashed inside a desently padded closest with nice warm lights right above the mic where a person can really feel comfortable and get into their zoen, and every single person that I have invited to record at my place feels its the best quality they have ever used. Which is good. But what is a realistic price? Yeah, I'll charge what I feel I need to, but what would someone expect to pay for home recording per hour vs. a pro studio.

From there it gets a little more complex. Some artists like to record people featured in their songs, so I let them set down and man the controls, does that mean I would charge less for that? Also, some times they use my gear to make productions. Do I just charge a per hour for the time theyv'e used my gear.

My deal is Im at home. So when my studio is occupied, I am not able to work on my own recordings and productions. That is a cost to me.

Thanx, pm

Gee, that sorta of a complex question. I don't know your market, what kinda client base you have and I don't know what your day job is. Skill vs Gear? Which is worth more? Do you want to record because you love music or you want better gear to record yourself via make someone else pay for it?

Fill in the blanks and the rate should reveal itself.

SoMm

I suggest that you negotiate with your customers the first few times you do it, then use the average as your standard rate.

leavings said:
I suggest that you negotiate with your customers the first few times you do it, then use the average as your standard rate.
agreed. I usually just ask what their budget is. If the money is worth the projected time, I'll do it. If not, I'll pass and spend my time in more enjoyable ways (like recording my own music!).

My friends who are full-time "pros" have told me that if it doesn't come out to about $20/hr on average, it isn't worth it to them.

I dont really have the intention to charge crew members up front or later. I probably should have worded some things in my post differently, I guess I dont really want to "charge", anyway, I just wanted to get an idea of what other people charge and see what I put into certain projects as far as time and money spent.

I have been recording for over 6 years, the first couple of years I used a four track and then bumped up to a digital 8. I guess that would be my experince level, I'm sure people may have been recording even longer, guess that doesnt mean their material will sound better, LOL, We mix 99% of the material on pc. So we get a good sound, like I stated before, people are impressed with the quality I/we get from my current gear. Thanx for your replies................... and advice. pm

Well pM, if I had a friend with a set up like yours, and he/she was producing mixes that were better than I could get elsewhere outside of a pro studio, I would think it perfectly reasonable to make a contribution for opportunity cost and towards the cost of the kit. Personally I would expect that to be something like 1/3 to 1/2 of a pro studio rate - I would feel that was fair all round.

Back