what is a normal amount of noise here?

floppsybunny

what is a normal amount of noise on a line-in from amp guitar (with distortion on, medium-low amp gain, trim at -10)? i'm getting steady background buzz at about -40dB...

yes, i've heard of microphones...

'Normal' ? No idea. You're probably using a single coil guitar right? You may need to agte the sound either with a plug in or a noise suppression pedal (like the Boss NS 2). Also, -40 is probably too low to track but I guess you know that.

floppsybunny said:
what is a normal amount of noise on a line-in from amp guitar (with distortion on, medium-low amp gain, trim at -10)? i'm getting steady background buzz at about -40dB...

yes, i've heard of microphones...

That's about right at -40dB

Really? -40 seem sorta high but I don't ever record geeeeetar direct. Good to know in case I ever do. Thanks!

well depends on gear & how it's manufactured, designed etc will dictate the average operating level of the device.

Mindset said:
well depends on gear & how it's manufactured, designed etc will dictate the average operating level of the device.

Oh so when people say track at between -18 and -12 Db, what does that refer to?

TelePaul said:
Oh so when people say track at between -18 and -12 Db, what does that refer to?

It means to record with the levels (on your DAW software's meters) to average around -18db.

With the few short peaks going to about -8 or maybe -6 at most. For me anyway.

I usually peak at about -12 or -10.

I know this is a newbie question, but I figured I'd ask here since you guys are kind of touching the subject. In cubase, how the hell am I supposed to know what the average is at? I just see peaks.

I've got no experience so far, so I don't even know how to read the .wav stil.......

floppsybunny said:
what is a normal amount of noise here?...

Well walters comes in every couple of weeks with an inane question. But that's about it. If you don't count FordVan. :-)

Lomas said:
I know this is a newbie question, but I figured I'd ask here since you guys are kind of touching the subject. In cubase, how the hell am I supposed to know what the average is at? I just see peaks.

I've got no experience so far, so I don't even know how to read the .wav stil.......

I think you go to the mixer window and there should be a level reading which changes when you record an audio source with the monitor button enabled.

It's not the Db reading on the fader.

Lomas said:
With experience one learns how to get a pretty good idea of the average level by looking at the peak meter and seeing where most of the dancing in-between the big peaks is taking place. But until one gets to that point of familiarity with their software...

You can calibrate your signal/meter by sending just a 1kHz sine wave into the track and setting that constant signal to about -18dBFS on your digital meter.

Or you can use additional metering/measuring devices that measure RMS ("average") levels. Most editing software some with at least one or more tools that will report RMS levels; search your editor's online help for "RMS" and you should find something there. Even better is an actual software meter that will display both peak and RMS values. Take a look at the free "Inspector" plugin that is available at www.rogernicholsdigital.com. Also search www.kvraudio.com for any other RMS-reading plugs that might be available.

G.

If -18dbFS is roughly 0dbVU on most gear, then wouldn't -18 be a good peak level? I personally don't want to overdrive my preamp the least. Maybe if it was a real nice one or something and added some flavor.

Although recording with a hotter signal supposedly "takes advantage of the extra bits in 24-bit recording"?

I would personally sacrifice the bits for a better signal. What do you think Glen? (Or anyone else of course).

Oh and I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I'd ask here. ;)

danny.guitar said:
If -18dbFS is roughly 0dbVU on most gear, then wouldn't -18 be a good peak level? I personally don't want to overdrive my preamp the least. Maybe if it was a real nice one or something and added some flavor.

Although recording with a hotter signal supposedly "takes advantage of the extra bits in 24-bit recording"?
Since you ask... ;)
(Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it :D)

First, I wouldn't worry about the whole "using up the bits" side of it. Even if you were peaking at -18dBFS, you're still using 21 or your 24 bits. That translates to 126dB of dynamic range. That's a range that's still likely going to be larger then the signal-to-noise ratio of your analog gear feeding it, which will probably peak somewhere around 105-110dB at it's widest point. And 126dB will be signifigantly larger than the 96dB you'll have when you squeeze everything on to a 16-bit CD. There's more than enough bits to go around without having to worry about pushing your digital signal to the max; don't worry about that aspect of it.

As far as overdriving any preamps goes, that completly depends upon the character of the preamp. Remembering that on most gear 0VU is going to equate to +4dBu "line level". It would be a pretty poorly designed preamp that couldn't handle signals that went a bit over line level voltage on occasion. As far as the question of how far/hard should you push any given preamp in your analog chain, that's up to you to figure out the character - the personality - of each of your analog boxes. This one may sound "best" when pushed an extra few dB, while that one may like the signal a bit tamer, etc.

More importantly, perhaps, remember that standard VU meters have intentionally slow ballistics. They are reading averages, not transient peak levels the way a digital dBFS meter is. So even if you do have your VU meters bouncing at what appears to be 0VU maximum, the reality probably is that there are transients that are going past 0VU but aren't showing up on the meters until you get to the peak-reading dBFS meters on the digital side. And that's OK.

G.

Last edited:
Back