What is a good, basic MIDI router?

Cliff K

Hi folks,
I've got about eight MIDI units that send and receive MIDI from a Roland MC500 sequencer. Some of these units don't have MIDI thru, and sometimes I like to plug different units into the MIDI in on the MC500. I've been just swapping cables around to suit what ever I need to do at any given moment, but I'd like to get something that will merge and split the MIDI in and out from the MC500 to all of the units. I am not using a computer, so I don't need to have a USB connection or any other computer interface; I just want something simple that will work like a basic passive patchbay. I looked at the MIDI Solutions website (http://www.midisolutions.com), and they make MIDI merger boxes and thru boxes that I think will do what I want, but they are a little pricey. Are there any other options out there, other things to think about? How do people deal with this?

Thanks!

Maudio and MOTU make a lot of interfaces and switchers. You will probably find they are all a little pricey. Find something you like and keep an eye out on Ebay for it.

Back