What Interface Do You Use?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I was going to make a poll but then I would have to go figure out the 10 most popular interfaces and I would get people going - "Arcadeko - you ass - you left out the XXXXX 3000! WTF is wrong with you?"

So to avoid all that I am just simply going to ask...

What Interface do you use.

Other helpful information would be stuff like, do you like it? Is it full duplex? How many channels and pre-amps does it have, how much do they run, does it come with DAW software...

Ok - As I am always talking about them you probably already know I use an Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2, 16 channels, 8 pre-amps comes with Cubease LE 4 - I think I paid about $450 for it used. I love it and have had no problems with it.

So what are you guys using? :D

For sake of the thread I will post my obviously redundant favorite. Tascam 1641/1800 for 16 simultaneous tracks. Opinions are like a-holes. We all have them, but really only know the ones we have used.

I still to this day, have no idea what 'full duplex' means. :D

For sake of the thread I will post my obviously redundant favorite. Tascam 1641/1800 for 16 simultaneous tracks. Opinions are like a-holes. We all have them, but really only know the ones we have used.

I still to this day, have no idea what 'full duplex' means. :D

I didnt know the Tascam US1800 was full duplex???
I thought it was only 4 out :eek:

It was my original choice months ago until I found out it would only give my 4 DAW channels

That is why I ask the question what 'full duplex' means. When a interface is listed as 16X4, it means there are 16 inputs and 4 assignable outputs from the DAW, via the 1/4" balanced output jacks on the interface itself. 'Outs' are not the ability of the interface to send channels to the computer. That is not considered an output, but an ability dependent upon the platform the interface uses for connection.They are confused by things like USB mixers that have like 16 channels, yet have only a USB 1.0 connection that can only send 2 tracks from the main output of the mixer. Alesis seems to confuse people the most with it's introduction of the USB/USB2.0 mixers. With those units, you get multiple track inputs as mixers do, yet the output is confused by saying it gives connection to a computer. Without understanding of how interfaces connect with a computer, this can become confusing. I think the 'USB 2.0' model allows up to 16 simultaneous tracks to the computer. Easily confused with the 'USB' model which only allows 2 tracks. This is only designated in description by one silly number. A nightmare for individuals who do not understand the difference when looking to purchase.
I didnt know the Tascam US1800 was full duplex???
I thought it was only 4 out :eek:

It was my original choice months ago until I found out it would only give my 4 DAW channels

Full duplex just means you get the same number of discreet tracks via firewire/usb 2 as you do physical input channels on the hardware. It's kind of misleading from from the original definition of the term.

But basically it means just because a Berhinger or Alesis USB mixer have a USB connector, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to record each of those 8 or 16 tracks individually. Like jimmy said its confusing - for one thing there is no industry standard for terminology or definition - you usually have to RTFM to figure it out, and sometimes that doesn't even help :p

Damn those Tascams are a steal at $300. If my Alesis ever croaks I will probably pick one of those up.

*The Alesis 16 USB 2 actually allows 18 connections (16 channels plus the main L/R Mix out).

I knew this thread would be helpful :)

Well, for a year I was using my intro equipment:
A Tascam DP-008. "8 TRACKS AND "CD QUALITY [44.1kHz/16-bit] ?!?!? That's all I'll ever need!"

Consequently, it was not.
But through using that I learned quite a bit about mics, outboard gear, and recording techniques, but
it was just that, intro equipment.

In april of this year it stopped recording. I kept getting an error message and never got around to dealing with calling Tascam about the problem.
I was completely against recording on computers and decided to buy that $800 24 track tascam, until our own grimtraveller opened my eyes to the real world of DAWs, so I have Cubase 5 Le that came with a Zoom g9.2tt I have, and I've decided to get some real monitors (no more headphones or ion 2' crappy desktop speakers full of mud), and an interface.
And that's what brings me here to bug you guys :)

:mad: damn you all for making me seriously consider a stand alone interface as opposed to a mixer/interface :mad::mad::mad:

:o

the features will be basically useless to me, but...:p
the mixers just look so cool :)

I need at least 8 xlr ins with atleast 8 independent DAW channels.

I just found this and it's looking pretty attractive
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Sweetwater.com

Dood, I suggest you throw out the Tascam bitterness and get an 1800. Unless you plan to need more than 16 tracks at once in the next year or so. Firewire is not looking like the future. Firewire will allow you more than 16 in's now. The 1800 cannot be expanded on as far as input tracks. But if you want a reliable interface, I have never heard of a more stable device than the 1800 in the $300-500 range. I feel that I will upgrade from the Tascam at some point, but I am lost as where to go with the current lack of interfaces using newer USB 3.0 technology and I have no idea where firewire is going since you pretty much have to buy a PCI card for a newly produced PC to get the port. Until I reach a limitation, I will be happy with the stable performance that I have now.

My opinion is biased. The winner is what works for you. I have a winner in the Tascam for me. Would I recommend it? Fuck yeah. No problems ever.

I think the Saffire Pro only gives you 8 hardware inputs. If you want to use more you have to get an optical lightpipe expander like an octopre lightpipe. I only see 8 inputs on the Saffire Pro box. The circuits are their but I am pretty sure you need another piece of gear to utilize the extra 8 in (the other 4 that brings it to 20 are usually summed Master/Aux channels, so really it's 16 discreet channels on any of these interfaces that say 18 or 20).

Kid I think the Tascam 1800 would do exactly what you want it to for the least amount of money. It has the 8 pre-amps / XLR's and gain control for those channels and 6 more balanced line inputs. If I would have known all the details on that I probably would have bought it instead of the Alesis just because of the price difference - I could have invested the $200 I saved on a better mic.

If I did tell you the Tascam 1800 only had 4 DAW inputs then I was wrong and I didn't read the specs properly. Usually they show the USB connectivity as 16X16 so if I didn't see that (It shows 16x4) I may have assumed incorrectly that it wasn't full duplex.

It's essentially the same functionality as the Alesis - The ONLY thing I do NOT see - that the Alesis has is the output routing options. For instance, on the Alesis I can route channels to the main outs, the tape out (which I use for monitor feeds) the Control room outs and aux outs. So it might give you more control over the monitoring and playback.

Also - on the Alesis you can record tracks without sending them through the monitor mix - so in other words, I can record 4 mics. I can mute the vocal and guitar mic so they don't send their output through the monitors (helps avoid feedback for hot mics) - but it still records everything to the DAW tracks. As far as I can tell the Tascam doesn't have controls for that - although you might be able to do that with Cubase. I like to have a button to hit if a mic starts feeding back :)

The other thing I like is having all my inputs handy along the top of the interface - cause I am always switching stuff around :p

Jimmy can shed some light on these questions.

I think the Tascam 1800 would do exactly what you want it to for the least amount of money. It has the 8 pre-amps / XLR's and gain control for those channels and 6 more balanced line inputs. If I would have known all the details on that I probably would have bought it instead of the Alesis just because of the price difference - I could have invested the $200 I saved on a better mic.

If I did tell you the Tascam 1800 only had 4 DAW inputs then I was wrong and I didn't read the specs properly. Usually they show the USB connectivity as 16X16 so if I didn't see that (It shows 16x4) I may have assumed incorrectly that it wasn't full duplex.

It's essentially the same functionality as the Alesis - The ONLY thing I do NOT see - that the Alesis has is the output routing options. For instance, on the Alesis I can route channels to the main outs, the tape out (which I use for monitor feeds) the Control room outs and aux outs. So it might give you more control over the monitoring and playback.

Also - on the Alesis you can record tracks without sending them through the monitor mix - so in other words, I can record 4 mics. I can mute the vocal and guitar mic so they don't send their output through the monitors (helps avoid feedback for hot mics) - but it still records everything to the DAW tracks. As far as I can tell the Tascam doesn't have controls for that - although you might be able to do that with Cubase. I like to have a button to hit if a mic starts feeding back :)

Jimmy can shed some light on these questions.

that type of stuff ^

I have 2 Mackie Onyx 400f interfaces daisy chained via firewire.
Inputs per interface 10. 4 Mic w/phantom, 4 line level and 2 spdif.
Outputs per interface. 10. 8 Line level, 2 spdif.
24 bits - 192 Khz.
Full duplex I/O.

Very clean 60 db mic preamps. The early drivers sucked, but the latest rev has been rock solid.
I bought both factory reconditioned from Musician's Friend for $299 a piece approx 4 years ago.

Arcadeko pretty much has it.

16 inputs directly to individual input busses in DAW. There are actually 10 preamps with gain control. 8 with XLR inputs, and two 1/4" selectable between line/gtr (highZ). The LED on each of these channels goes from green, to yellow, to red. 60 db of surprisingly clean gain. I can run my SM7b with just the Tascam. Phantom power is switchable on either banks of 4 XLR's (on/off 1-4 and 5-8). The remaining 4 analog inputs are 1/4" balanced line inputs, switchable in pairs from -10 dBV consumer to +4 dBu pro. The last two channels are s/pdif. All Windows audio shows as input from channels 15/16 s/pdif so anything from computer/net sources can be recorded to DAW from those channels.

There are a total of 6 1/4" balanced outputs. Pair #1 is the same signal as the headphone out, labeled MONITOR OUT, the MIX knob on the front and MONITOR LEVEL knob control these outputs. MIX knob varies amount of direct input signal and DAW playback (out 1 and 2). Monitor volume control controls these outputs separately from headphone volume control. 1,2,3 and 4 outs are just that. Selectable outs from the DAW.

I use two XLR to 1/4" adapters for channels 9 and 10. I use an ART TPSII and an ART Dual MP as preamps to run channels 11-14 for a total of 14 mic inputs. I actually thought I was buying a ART DPSII, which has s/pdif outs. Oops.

Basically $380 was my total cost for this setup. I got deals man! :D

Lynx AES16e PCI-e card, Lynx Aurora 8 and Apogee AD8000 AD/DA for 16 x 12 (the Apogee only has the stereo DAC card) . If I need ADAT i/o I use a Fostex UC-8 which can convert 8 channels of AES/EBU, ADAT or TDIF any which way but loose. One cool thing is that the Lynx AES16e card was originally made as a 16 x 16 card but with the firmware revision 11 update it can now support up to 32 inputs and 32 outputs simultaneously, provided you get the ADAT daughter board for it, which is only like $200. Pretty slick if I wanna upgrade at any point.

Cheers :)

Back