What humbucker, and with Para Acoustic DI or DMP3?

canakas

Hello good folk

I have a nylon and steel guitars I want to record in such a way that I can capture the acoustic sound of the guitars on my Portastudio 246 ;)

I am thinking of getting a DMP3 anyway... but then the the idea of the Para DI struck me... has anyone used this Para Acoustic DI (LR Baggs)?

I have available a stereo set of Gefell microphones which have worked very nicely with my friends DMP3... So this is one way to go...

Also I want to ask about humbuckers... what are you guys using... for say a live performance...?
I have heard people use humbuckers on guitars and it sounds great, even though the acoustic sound of their instruments wasnt to much of a success in my ears... so what is the magic of the humbucker?

Thanks for any help :D

Last edited:
Hi canakas,

Man, if you've got some Gefell mics (even one), I'd say forget about going direct! Mic'ing will ALWAYS sound better than going direct if you have the choice.

Sometimes you don't. For those times, I have the Baggs Accoustic DI and love it both for recording and live. It has a nice transparent sound, but it's real benefit is the EQ. It essentially has 5 bands of eq (low, notch, mid, trebble, presence). The mid and notch have adjustable center frequencies. If you have tried going direct either live or for recording, you probably understand how important EQ is to avoid nasty resonances and feedback and to restore some of the character of the instrument which is often lost by going direct. I use the Baggs both for Guitar and Mandolin. It seems to work well with both piezo bridge pickups and with humbuckers like dimarzio.

-Randaji

yeah even thinking about not using the gefells....what ingrate...

I think you have a point... I best go with them and the DMP3

A question bout the Para DI...
does it make an electric guitar sound acoustic, or is it meant for amping acoustic instruments?

cause it would truly be a good option for live performance...5 band EQ and all- the gefells need shhhh silence... :eek:

thx
C

Back