What headphones would you suggeest for vocal recording in the $200 range?

joms

Hi,

What headphones would you suggeest for recording in the $200 range?

I will be using this for vocal recording only. (I will be plug it in my mixer so i could hear the backtrack music plus my own voice)

Primary importance is for it not to leak sound to my mic so that I can capture my voice alone.

As of now, I am looking at:

a) Sennheiser HD380
b) Audio Technica ATH-M50
c) Beyerdynamics DT770 (should I go with the 80 or 250 ohms if i will only use it for voice recording. I understand its better to use open heaphones for mixing right?)
d) someone said AKG-K550? haven't tried researching this yet

FYI, mic to be used is a Shure SM7b (dynamic) plugged to a Focusrite ISA-one to a Presonus 16.0.2 Digital mixer to my computer via firewire.

note: I don't have a studio nor a treated room and its not possible to have one. I understand that the mic will pick up ambient sounds but that will be discussed on another thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
Headphones are awful for mixing - period. You can adjust your perception of what you hear to mix properly, but stereo placement is very tricky with phones. Open headphones tend to sound better, closed headphones keep the sound in better when you are recording. Headphones for accurate mixing sound different to headphones for tracking/foldback. For replay - I like the sound of the Sennheisers you mention, but the open ones are better. For sticking on a drummer, I'll stick with the older DT100 or DT150 because they're bullet proof, and tough. The posh ones are a bit more delicate, being a hi-fi style product dressed up. If you have enough output power, then a higher impedance set is my preference, but if you are using something a bit feeble to drive them with, you may run out of volume.

I don't think Rob read your whole post or you changed/added after he replied!
Just for monitoring while voice recording, almost any comfortable closed-back phones will do. Mixing is a whole 'nother thing - there are threads here about it, but basically you need monitors (or even a half-ass stereo system) for mixing, headphones give a not-real listening environment due to separate left/right and frequency issues.

I understand from the threads ive read about the importance of monitors in mixing. However, i don't have the luxury of using them for various reasons.

Anyway, for mixing, is there a headphone that will give me this:

a) open or semi-open (as this will give me better sound quality as per the threads ive read)
b) very good against leaking (i need the sounds to not be heard by people around me)
c) very poor in isolation (i need to hear people and sounds from outside)

The reason for these requirements is because I plan to use this headphone on my computer at work. People at the office don't see my monitor so when im not doing anything, i would like to mess around and try learning how to mix stuff. I need to be able to hear though if someone is calling me (specially if its the boss) and at the same time, the music i am listening to must not be heard by people around me (thus i need it to not bleed as much as possible).
Is there such a headphone available? (i know that isolation and leaking mostly goes hand in hand.... but maybe you know something that can fit my requirements)

actually, singing with monitors on (using the proper techniques) works better than using headphones.

b) i need the sounds to not be heard by people around me
c) i need to hear people and sounds from outside

You're asking for one way sound which, I'm pretty sure, would just be magic.
They're either isolated or their not, I'm afraid.

To be fair though, people can usually see you by the time they're calling your name.
Even if you could hear them would it make any difference?

You may be forced to either take your chances or do your job. :p
Either that or just work with one ear off like a singer might.

At home? Save your money.
Get a decent pair of closed back headphones for tracking/editing, and a decent set of monitors for mixing.

If you simply must mix with headphones, at least check stereo field on a stereo hifi or something.

Think about it. Stand in front of two speakers and cover one ear. You still hear both speakers.
Now put headphones on and cover one ear. You only hear one speaker.

I use AKG headphone for tracking - closed back. K271 MKII. They work for mixing too but check your mixes on various speakers too - like your car or boom box.

Back