What headphones for minimum leakage?

Reggaesoldier

What headphones do you guys like for the least amount of leakage when droppin' vocals? I have 2 pairs of sony mdr-v700's and a few misc. other cheapo's, But I was looking into buying new cans that REALLY supress leakage.
Thanks

I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago. I had crappy headphones that leaked into my LDC when I did vocals. So I went to guitar center and tested the Senn HD280's, the SONY MDR 7506's, the MDR V700's, some AKG headphones that were a little cheaper, and those ~$200 Beyerdynamics phones. The HD280's had the nighest noise attenuation. In my mind, these are GREAT headphones. As with all headphones, I would not recommend mixing with them, but they are great for live monitoring. My only gripe is that they come with a weird 1/8 in to 1/4 in adaptor that screws on. They run around $90-$100.

pdadda said:
My only gripe is that they come with a weird 1/8 in to 1/4 in adaptor that screws on.

That weird little adaptor only means that they are set up (ohm-wise) to work with audio portables as well as serving your studio needs. Most current higher-end headphones have that capability - an improvement in my opinion...

Yo Megga-Regga:

Beyer 250s or the newer 770's.

Great cans. Comfortable and they come with the dual mini-1/4 inch plug set-up.

Price? Somewhere around 134 pezzutos.

Green Hornet :rolleyes: :cool: :p

well the Sennheiser's seem to get the vote. I'll check em out and see what the buzz is all about! Thanks for the input!

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Megga-Regga:

Beyer 250s or the newer 770's.

Great cans. Comfortable and they come with the dual mini-1/4 inch plug set-up.

Price? Somewhere around 134 pezzutos.

Green Hornet :rolleyes: :cool: :p
Actually I can't find a credible place that sells Beyerdynamics. Where do you get em?

Reggaesoldier said:
well the Sennheiser's seem to get the vote. I'll check em out and see what the buzz is all about! Thanks for the input!

I use 'em too, for tracking acoustic (nylon) guitar with a SDC right next to my right ear. Just inches away and no leakage. I can also monitor new tracks and existing tracks by plugging the phone into the 1/8" phono jack on the speaker enclosure.

Back