What happened?

Guitar is a bit loud, where's the kick? What kind of beat is that? The whole thing hurt my ears, although it does sound original and alternative. Reminds me of Jane's Addiction.

Guitar is a bit loud, where's the kick? What kind of beat is that? The whole thing hurt my ears, although it does sound original and alternative. Reminds me of Jane's Addiction.

There's no kick, just a snare and one cymbal. There's a floor tom used on some other songs i think, but not this song. 2 piece kit for this one.

Disclaimer that I don't have the best listening environment right here, but on cheap ipod headphones it sounds like everything under a few hundred hz was scooped a lot. In other words, the low end is somewhat missing. This is making several elements sound fairly thin and distant, and that's great if that's what you are aiming for, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring a few things (especially the vox) forward.

Good job.

Calling all the what?

This is strangely addictive. I really like your voice 90% of the time. I don't like the speedup just after halfway the song. It loses its personality I find. The chorus is really good man. How about you do some polyphonic "background" vocals to warm it up a little, and maybe exchange the drumkit for a synthetic beat (I'm talking Idioteque style synthetic). What do you think?

It's a real thin mix. Not much low end.

Lot's of pitchiness and cracks in the voice. Some of it actually kind of works for me, but some of it, to me, needs correcting.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for here sound-wise. The mix is strange, as is the tune, but I guess I liked the tune better than the mix, which was very thin as others have noted.

I also enjoyed the choruses and found your vocals and lyrics very entertaining. Sometimes it strayed beyond quirky to sounding just wrong, but I guess that is a subjective fine line, so have at it :).

There is not a kick drum, and the bass is a square wave, of course it's going to be thin. Is it thin outside of those 2 considerations?

Sounds like some kind of angst of the teenage variety...thin yeah but the fletcher munching sydrome takes care of that after 40 seconds. Sounds like a punky, alternative kind of thing.

There is not a kick drum, and the bass is a square wave, of course it's going to be thin. Is it thin outside of those 2 considerations?

That'd be your problem. Nothing's happening in the low end, so it sounds thin.

This was very strange. I'm not sure how much of what is intentional. I'm sure you realize that a ton of aspects of this mix are "wrong" by conventional standards, but you're obviously ignoring convention for purposes of your artistic vision.
That makes it hard to critique.
I guess the questions become "what is painful to listen to?" and "what if anything would keep an artistically-minded listener from listening again?"

With those questions in mind, the lead synth line got a little tiresome. Some more variety there would be nice.
I like the vox. Very energetic.

Edit:
Hey, so I just noticed you're the guy who did Underwater Dad. I really like that one! Listening to the other stuff on your MySpace, I see that some of it is in the same style. Do you have somewhere that you offer downloads/purchases?

Last edited:
I just recorded it, i'm not in any bands. I can give you the EP I recorded for the band that did underwater dad for free if you want. They are no longer a band or selling cd's anymore, and i'm best friends with the lead singer, so I know they don't care.

Actually, every band on my myspace is defunct/not selling merchandise anymore, so I'll send you whatever. Just PM me.

Back