What genre is this song considered

I'm not good with the proper labels for music, but if a friend asked what you do, I'd say something like Jazz influenced electronica or something like that.

Annoying baby noises? Arbitrary keys for different instruments? I'd say your best bet is to go with avant garde something.

Gonna be honest, I kinda hated it. Mostly for the baby noise.

the baby noises were a little odd - i could do without them - but the rest of the song was cool! kudos for trying something different and don't take offense when boring, standard rock,n,rollers get pissy about it. arbitrary keys? gawd, get off it.

the baby noises were a little odd - i could do without them - but the rest of the song was cool! kudos for trying something different and don't take offense when boring, standard rock,n,rollers get pissy about it. arbitrary keys? gawd, get off it.

:laughings: VomitHatSteve is anything but a boring standard rock n roller. Good one, man.

I'd say jazz/avant garde.

:laughings: VomitHatSteve is anything but a boring standard rock n roller. Good one, man.

I'd say jazz/avant garde.

Exactly. That old "if you don't get it, you're too square" routine is pretty tired.

I'm not sure the OP is too bothered what genre his song is considered given his level of involvement in the thread...

actually the baby noises didn't bother me nor did the 'arbitrary key' thing. That is something in the realm of sound of a ring modulator however he got the sound, and it's used for effect.
Interesting sound to me.
I didn't find the composition very stimulating ..... pretty limited to a few repeating chords but for what it is it sounds decent.
I'm really not sure why the baby noises irritated so many people ..... it's not like they're the dominant sound.

more tired than the 'needlessly-negative posting' routine? nah, i'll take square-bashing over that any day, haha :thumbs up:

I'd say my post was exactly as negative as it needed to be. The key seemed to fluctuate pretty unpredictably, which is fine. I enjoy a lot of avant garde music with unusual keys. If you do unusual things with your key, you're probably going to be called avant garde and/or prog.

The baby noise was incredibly unpleasant to me. Some people may like noises like that, but it made me really dislike the song. I'd say "this particular sound that you used in your recording caused an unpleasant visceral reation; I didn't like it" is a valid critique.

Last edited:
I'd say my post was exactly as negative as it needed to be. The key seemed to fluctuate pretty unpredictably, which is fine. I enjoy a lot of avant garde music with unusual keys. If you do unusual things with your key, you're probably going to be called avant garde and/or prog.

The baby noise was incredibly unpleasant to me. Some people may like noises like that, but it made me really dislike the song. I'd say "this particular sound that you used in your recording caused an unpleasant visceral reation; I didn't like it" is a valid critique.

no one's questioning the validity of your position - i also noted my dislike of the baby noises. but you can say it in a pleasant, constructive way that resounds with some level of courtesy. it's not hard, and you might make some friends :)

Ehhh... I've got enough friends. What I could really use is some enemies! :D

"Hate" may be a word that people dislike seeing applied to their work, but you know, sometimes it's just the right word. OP - wherever you are - I'm sorry if my saying that I hate your song hurt your feelings. Unfortunately, those baby noises really were a dealbreaker!

Ehhh... I've got enough friends. What I could really use is some enemies! :D

"Hate" may be a word that people dislike seeing applied to their work, but you know, sometimes it's just the right word. OP - wherever you are - I'm sorry if my saying that I hate your song hurt your feelings. Unfortunately, those baby noises really were a dealbreaker!
I find the oversensitivity to be a bit of a turn off.

"Don't comment on my song unless you use the exact approved words to do so."

People say what they say and VERY often might use words that they mean nothing by but the recipient decides that they should have said it otherwise.
Now ..... if someone says, "That sucks! ...... you suck and your music is a joke! and your family must hate you!" That's clearly just offensive and insulting and there's no place for it in a forum primarily aimed at newbies and amateurs.

But personally I refuse to walk on eggshells to try and choose just the oh-so-right way to say something just because someone is too sensitive.
People have to give a little from both sides and that includes the person whose music is being discussed.
I think it's perfectly fine to say "I hate that" ...... it's not a personal attack.
It's a statement of how thoughoughly they dislike it ..... I see nothing insulting in that at all.

I'm not sure the OP is too bothered what genre his song is considered given his level of involvement in the thread...

hehe, yeah, he's just looking for clicks. And with this little drama, I hope he's getting what he wants...
:laughings:

The drums samples are too close to real and too far from real to really work.
It does sound like a sample from a jazz ballad with a drum machine added.
The guitar part really reminds me of one of The Resident's 1st 1/2 doz. recordings - probably Buster & Glenn.
Different intentions but similar sound & key overlapping.
THe baby bit is tedious after the 2nd run through.
It's amusing 1st time through - a whole bunch of vaguely amusing connotations ...
"Don't ever change - baby" being the most prominent in my skull.
I prefer The Residents - well pre synth Residents that is.

Last edited:
Acid Jazz sounds about rite. The baby sounds at least in my head add to the feel of the song, didnt create the threads just for clix just been a bit busy. thanks for the compliments and stuff

Back